• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would getting a bird buddy help stop her feather plucking?

leslieg

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I posted recently about Willow (23-year-old CAG) plucking since my husband passed in December. I took her to the vet, who felt it was due to grief and stress. He recommended a bird buddy. (Willow is an only bird.) I have 3 dogs, and she spends her days on a playstand in the room with me and sleeps in the bedroom, but the vet said she just lost her flock (my husband) and since she was a flock creature, giving her a friend/flock would make her much happier.

I'm here to ask -- has being part of a flock, or getting a buddy, helped your bird deal with grief and stress? Stopped the plucking?

The vet had another CAG in the office (a male) and wow, did Willow react well to him. When I got her home, I downloaded a video of another CAG chattering and played it for her, and again, she showed a lot of interest. I'm thinking that maybe the vet is right.

Do you think it matters if I get another grey, or just any species? The vet suggested a parrot nearer her size, not a budgie. If I get a grey, would it matter if I got a Congo or a Timneh? If I go with another species, I'm partial to a green cheeked conure, which could obviously not be allowed any contact with Willow. Does anyone have a grey who's buddies with a smaller parrot? How does it work out? Are there any other species you might suggest? A local avian petshop suggested a red-belly, but when I read "the good, the bad, and the ugly" about them, they sounded kind of scary - they bite hard. I'm not afraid of GCC bites (not much, lol), their damage is limited.

Getting another grey isn't something to do lightly. I'd like to get a baby female, but babies are ridiculously expensive locally. The vet cautioned me that he's treated numerous birds people bought from rescue organizations or Craigslist that ended up very sick within a month. I don't have a separate room for quarantining, so I'm not going to rescue. Also, after being bit by Willow several times through the years, I'm very shy of being bitten, so starting with a baby would make that easier.

The vet suggested the same sex if I get a grey, so I wouldn't have to deal with mating behavior and they'd be friends with me, too - what's your experience with male/female buddies?

You gave me some good suggestions to my first post - thank you. She's still plucking, so I expect it will take time.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry that your bird is plucking. I will let people with African Grey experience answer your questions. But I have to stick up for rescues. It's disappointing that your vet feels that way about rescues. And if that has been his experience that is unfortunate. The rescue I volunteer with vet checks all of our birds before we place them for adoption. The rescue also usually has a bird for well over 30 days so generally would see if the bird is exhibiting any signs of illness. And any new bird should be quarantined regardless of where the bird comes from- pet store, rescue, breeder, etc. I know you are just following your vet's advice so I hope you don't think I am being critical, but I just feel like I need to stick up for rescues. Yes, not all rescues are good. Maybe not all rescues vet check. I think most do. It is certainly something to ask before adopting a bird from a rescue. But I don't think it's fair either to say birds from rescues are sick. Our rescue spends a lot of money making sure our birds are healthy. For the bird's sake. We want all of our birds to be healthy and happy.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Where do you live ..There is a wonderful rescue where i got my 3rd bird from here in BC Canada Greyhaven bird rescue ..they are totally awesome and I have never heard of anything bad from this rescue and they have 2 beautiful Greys there now that I donate monthly to help upkeep these Greys... I would look at another bird but not just for your bird but you have to want them as well... Babies are alot of work and you never know what they will turn out to be as adults ...rescue adult birds you kind of get what you see ...since Im partial to Greys and Amazons I would suggest one or the other ... My Grey loves having other birds to chat to and they make all sorts of crazy sounds my new Amazon even sings which is so cute ... I would suggest a bird around the same size as your Grey but with any addition you will have to make sure your Grey is number one in the house .. Having more birds means more noise , cleaning and the such but it can do wonders for a lonely bird .. :strhng:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I do not think a buddy will stop feather plucking.

Once it's established it's extremely difficult to overcome.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I see it as going either way, stop plucking or increasing plucking from the stress of a second bird. Have you asked your vet?

leslieg

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I'll check around for recommendations on good rescues. I appreciate your support of rescues.

emdh

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elizabeth
Please understand it is entirely possible and even likely that your Grey won’t get along with another bird of any species. Mine hates my Senegal and Grren Cheek and can’t ever be in he same space.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
This article from Pamela Clark may be some help to you. She writes about how African greys often seem accepting of other greys at least. Of course there will always be exceptions. Maybe a consult with a behaviourist will help you solve your greys plucking issue if medical causes are ruled out.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Another thing to consider, if your bird does bond with the other bird, you may be left out of the picture as well.