• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 worried.

berda

Sitting on the front steps
Ok I have a male and female cockatiel that have been mating a lot lately she is inside of her nesting box fluffing up and teetering with her tail up, n she looks too be trying to lay, she had been doing this for 5 days and she comes out daily to eat n bath but no eggs have been laid I am wondering how long it takes for them to actually lay an egg? I posted this in the emergency forums because I know that they can have complications if they can't lay and I do not have a vet near us. We are about 130 miles away to the closest vet.

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Bump

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She may be nesting, but not trying to lay. Laying takes a matter of seconds (within 24 hours usually).

At anyt ime is she fluffed and on the bottom of the enclosure?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hate to ask this, but does your female tiel appear to have a swollen bum? Does she appear to be acting normally? mythic55 asked about her behaviour too and that would be a dead give away if she were not feeling up to par or was having problems laying.

Last edited:

berda

She's fluffed up inside her box kinda rocking/swaying, no swollen bum as I've been keeping very close eye on her. I now litteraly sleep in my living room with them to listen.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I was also going to mention that just because they've been "having fun" it doesn't always mean that an egg is on the way.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Doesnt sound like egg bound- sounds like the bird may be ill. How is the health and diet of your birds?
When they are preparing to lay they must be fortified for 2 months prior- an imbalance of nutrients can mean sickness and ultimately death for a bird that does not have enough iodine, calcium, etc. as they will 'rob' in from their organs and bones to produce the egg.Utritional deficiencies is the number one cause of dead overall for birds, they have very delicate immune systems... and their is tons of misinformation, as an example: cuddle bone is not sufficient for calcium. Or seed diets are not nutritionally adequate.

What was your protocol prior to your breeding stage?

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I mentioned in the other thread, but from the sounds of it, sounds like a hen who is protecting her nest.... i.e. nesting behavior. Cockatiels will puff up and sway, maybe even hiss, when there is an intruder to their nest box.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Sounds to me like she is warning you to stay away from her nest. Keep bothering her and she will get up and rush toward you and maybe even bite you.

If she becomes egg bound, she will sit still on the botom of the cage, all fluffed up, not eat or drink and that is when you should worry.

berda

Sorry it took so long to reply I've been having problems with my phone. To answer a couple questions her health has been really well I feed her plenty of fresh greens white rice and anything else I can find to help her out with her health. I spend a lot of my time researching online about the birds and how to maintain their health also I have been learning about the egg binding problems. it seems like maybe she was just being protective because since my first post she has laid two eggs she comes out daily to eat from her cuttlebone I gave her an extra large bowl of water for bathing and she seems to be doing fine however she seems to want to get out and fly around a lot lately should I limit her to that until she's done Laying?

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Brown rice, wild rice and other types of grains are healthier than white rice, just FYI. :)

And I would not limit her exercising! Flight helps the muscles required to push eggs! Preventing her from exercising could give a higher chance of egg-binding. :(

Cooked eggs would also be healthy for her, right now! :D

berda

I tried scrambled and boiled she didn't eat either , I bought some wheat pasta. I'll try that next. And her cage door is open everyday except when neighbors bring their kids over because I don't want them putting their hands in my cage scaring her or him. I'll let her fly whenever she wants then. Thanks again for the advice.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Make sure she is in a quiet place. Kids near will not help.