• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried over Covid

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I caught Covid 8 days ago, and since yesterday I have been feeling a lot better. However, I did not know I had Covid. But on the side of caution, I kept my parrots in their cages until yesterday (day 7). I took a rapid Covid test on day 5 of symptoms, but I was too scared to look at the results so I took pictures of the results without looking. It was only today I checked the photos, since I feel better.
Now, I think about all the times I accidentally sneezed without getting to tissue in time as my apartment is fairly small. And yesterday I pet my cockatiel and gave her a shower. I hope she will be ok. I wash my hands before interacting with her since I was sick.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
My whole house had covid a few weeks ago. We stayed away from the boys as much as possible except for food/water and cage changes. I didn't realize I had it and just thought is was the regular flu. They are fine and were never under the weather. The most impact it had on them is not being able to come out of cages. Just try to stay away from them, cover your mouth, and wash your hands. I also kicked their Rabbit air purifier up to high and kept it that way until we were not sick any longer.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yeah , usually
My whole house had covid a few weeks ago. We stayed away from the boys as much as possible except for food/water and cage changes. I didn't realize I had it and just thought is was the regular flu. They are fine and were never under the weather. The most impact it had on them is not being able to come out of cages. Just try to stay away from them, cover your mouth, and wash your hands. I also kicked their Rabbit air purifier up to high and kept it that way until we were not sick any longer.
Yeah, usually I am the one to tell others try not to worry, our viruses usually don’t mutate to birds in a home setting, but it really helps to hear I’m not alone in my worry. Im glad to hear your symptoms weren’t too extreme. I had the worst sore throat ever for three days, it was so bad I took the maximum pain relief I could, rotating ibuprophen and acetaminophen . 3 extra strength ibuprophen (max daily) and 4 extra strength neocritrin (acetaminophen) (max daily is probably 8). Even then it only eased the pain a little. Luckily I didn’t develop much coughing. My sinuses were sore after my sore throat went away, but they seem to be very slowly clearing up.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I completely understand the worry the last thing we want is to get our pets sick. I worried about our cats as well and ended up kicking them out of the bedroom several times. They just wanted to cuddle me the sweet things but I didn't want to pass anything to them either.

A.K

Sprinting down the street
I thought it was not possible for birds to contract Covid-19?

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Reactions: A.K

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As far as I am aware, any zoonotic crossovers has been in mammals. I am not currently aware of any avian species contracting COVID. Of course we will still worry about our pets but the odds are in your favor :)

A.K

Sprinting down the street
As far as I am aware, any zoonotic crossovers has been in mammals. I am not currently aware of any avian species contracting COVID. Of course we will still worry about our pets but the odds are in your favor :)
Of course, naturally we worry about our little birds. Thanks for the reply. :heart: