• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried about my mini mac

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As few of you know that I adopted my dream bird, Pestaa, a hahns macaw last year. Pesta came from a dealer who didn't know much about his past. After joining our flock, Pestaa suddenly chewed off his long tail feathers and primary feather of wings. After destroying them he became quiet. This January, new feathers emerged. He developed a beautiful tail and started flying also. But in February, again the chewing started. I tried to distract him ,but all my efforts were futile. Now he has lost all his long feathers and seems comfortable. He has plenty of chew toys and loves chewing them. He is a seed junkie, so I give him sprouted seeds. He doesn't get much sugary item. Pestaa is a haughty guy, I don't think he loves me, but he feels that I'm his most tolerable servant. He is not aggressive, just cold and distant.
Now, please guide me what should I do. The bird dealer once told me, his mate died one year ago. Is he still grieving? I don't know providing a mate will increase the problem or not. Hahns macaw are not very common here. Females are more rare. Pestaa has bitter sweet relationship with my OWA. Please give your opinions.

SumitaSinh

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if it could be hormonal? That's such a strange behavior!
Maybe...sometimes he utters few weird sounds. But what's the solution? And why only primaries are targeted.

SumitaSinh

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's crippling himself...I can't tolerate that.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

SumitaSinh

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That sounds similar to Michael. He has a habit of chewing on the tips of his nails. The veterinarian said that it is not the most common habit, but it is an anxious habit that can become deep seeded and continue indefinitely. Michael came to me doing it, and still does intermittently, but he is very clearly content and not anxious now. To be clear, I am not saying that this is the same thing, and chewing the tips of nails is not as concerning as a flighted bird chewing their primaries, but it is possible that your bird has also developed a habit rooted in anxiety.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't help in any way at all I am sorry, I have no experience with mini macs and also no experience with barbering, plucking or any self destructive behaviours in birds.
No worries. I just figured I'd reach out to everyone just in case you'd seen or heard of another Mac doing this.

SumitaSinh

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That sounds similar to Michael. He has a habit of chewing on the tips of his nails. The veterinarian said that it is not the most common habit, but it is an anxious habit that can become deep seeded and continue indefinitely. Michael came to me doing it, and still does intermittently, but he is very clearly content and not anxious now. To be clear, I am not saying that this is the same thing, and chewing the tips of nails is not as concerning as a flighted bird chewing their primaries, but it is possible that your bird has also developed a habit rooted in anxiety.
Thanks Mathew. Yes it definitely can be anxiety related. Pestaa has few OCD behaviors also, like he'll wipe his beak multiple times after touching any object. I wish I could treat his anxiety like I do for my human patients.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret chews on her nails on the FRONT but not the rest of them. I always thought the bird was grooming herself but now I wonder if it's just another anxious habit

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Secret chews on her nails on the FRONT but not the rest of them. I always thought the bird was grooming herself but now I wonder if it's just another anxious habit
That is what I thought, and I am honestly not sure that it is not, but that is what the veterinarian told me.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adam
As few of you know that I adopted my dream bird, Pestaa, a hahns macaw last year. Pesta came from a dealer who didn't know much about his past. After joining our flock, Pestaa suddenly chewed off his long tail feathers and primary feather of wings. After destroying them he became quiet. This January, new feathers emerged. He developed a beautiful tail and started flying also. But in February, again the chewing started. I tried to distract him ,but all my efforts were futile. Now he has lost all his long feathers and seems comfortable. He has plenty of chew toys and loves chewing them. He is a seed junkie, so I give him sprouted seeds. He doesn't get much sugary item. Pestaa is a haughty guy, I don't think he loves me, but he feels that I'm his most tolerable servant. He is not aggressive, just cold and distant.
Now, please guide me what should I do. The bird dealer once told me, his mate died one year ago. Is he still grieving? I don't know providing a mate will increase the problem or not. Hahns macaw are not very common here. Females are more rare. Pestaa has bitter sweet relationship with my OWA. Please give your opinions.
hows your hahns doing

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adam
a lot of things at play as to why he would keep on. hes stressed. the diet i give all year.. nuts such as cashews, almonds mixed with lafeber parrot daily pellets and nutriberries. without nuts mine plucked several years back as you know.. hes back to normal now though. make sure hes getting sprayed and or shower once a week minimum for summer. i spray mine several times a week he also uses the bowl. secondly make sure you are not touching him anywhere but the head. if you have another bird make sure it isnt too close to the hahns. they get very territorial in hormone season. after that would come its sleep. i wake mine 7:45am and they sleep 8pm for summer and 7pm sleep for winter. doing this routine ive had no issues so far. let me know how it goes.. hope he behaves for you.

Attachments

SumitaSinh

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
a lot of things at play as to why he would keep on. hes stressed. the diet i give all year.. nuts such as cashews, almonds mixed with lafeber parrot daily pellets and nutriberries. without nuts mine plucked several years back as you know.. hes back to normal now though. make sure hes getting sprayed and or shower once a week minimum for summer. i spray mine several times a week he also uses the bowl. secondly make sure you are not touching him anywhere but the head. if you have another bird make sure it isnt too close to the hahns. they get very territorial in hormone season. after that would come its sleep. i wake mine 7:45am and they sleep 8pm for summer and 7pm sleep for winter. doing this routine ive had no issues so far. let me know how it goes.. hope he behaves for you.
It's nice to hear from you. How's Jeff doing? Pestaa will not take pellets so I give him sprouts. Recently he's started taking sweet corn. I've cut off sweet fruits from his diet. He gets misted every day and he really enjoys that. Sometimes he takes a bath, so I keep a shallow bowl of water in his cage. Sometimes I do think about getting him a partner, but then I back off. As far as his relationship with my other birdies, it's like your Senegal and Jefferson. :laugh::laugh:

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adam
It's nice to hear from you. How's Jeff doing? Pestaa will not take pellets so I give him sprouts. Recently he's started taking sweet corn. I've cut off sweet fruits from his diet. He gets misted every day and he really enjoys that. Sometimes he takes a bath, so I keep a shallow bowl of water in his cage. Sometimes I do think about getting him a partner, but then I back off. As far as his relationship with my other birdies, it's like your Senegal and Jefferson. :laugh::laugh:
hes been good but a hand full. this year he seems much more calm(so far). last year it was hell for hormones by beginning of may. corn is very very sweet, its sugar ..starch and provides much energy to them. id give less of that. a partner does not solve all issues. you must find whats stressing. i believe you need to work on changing diet some more see what works better as far as nutrients for a hahns specifically. i personally believe its the diet, but it could be many other things. it took me 3 yrs to figure out the right mix of things to feed.. every year i learn more about what makes his feathers better. try different things dont give up hope.

SumitaSinh

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I should inform you about few things. One week ago, when the birdies having an out of cage time, I noticed Pestaa came out from his cage spontaneously! I was so happy and surprised. From then, he's coming out every day. When it's time to get in, he gives a lot of trouble. Finally I make the room dark and guide him towards his cage with a hand towel. He throws few tantrums but enjoys his treat when he gets in. Outside, he follows Inca ( OWA) closely. They never fight and I always keep watch.
Pestaa doesn't have any tail and no wing primaries. But he can and does fly. Now see what he has done right now... 20240625_211932.jpg
He climbed up the curtains and reached there!! This guy is so intelligent and has immense potential!! He'll be a handful in future!
@Clueless, @flyzipper, @TikiMyn, @Hahns0hmy