• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Worried about my 11mo Peach-Faced Lovebird

MangoTheLB

Meeting neighbors
Today my 11 month old female lovebird has been making this weird noise when breathing through her nose. I am aware that she's expecting to lay an egg since below her stomach there is a bump where her egg is and she's made a nest however I'm not quite sure whether or not that is related to her breathing issue. She can fly fine but she's limited her usual chirps and run-abouts when out of her cage which is rather unlike her since she's usually very active and would often follow me around. Earlier today I did notice that her nostrils were wet which I believe was the cause of this odd noise however after a couple hours she still continued to make this sound despite her nostrils being dry.

Help is certainly appreciated, I want the best for my dearest companion and it worries me to see her like this. Thanks

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara ? Is it possible to take her to the vet? Especially if she's getting ready to lay there could possibly be an issue with the egg that may explain her change in behavior.

MangoTheLB

Meeting neighbors
I'll see how if anything changes in the morning, if she's acting the same (or worse) I'll certainly book an appointment to the nearest vet. I've noticed that she's stopped making any weird noises since she's asleep which makes me wonder whether she's alright now or whether she was making that odd breathing noise for attention. I'll have to ask around. Thank you so much :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully she'll be ok,please keep us updated.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Monitor her but if you feel something s wrong, take her to the vet to be on the safe side.

A lovebird will swell before the egg is visible so knowing what you´re looking at helps, I wouldn´t like to travel with my girls if the egg is already formed as a fall or bump could break the egg inside, but would if I felt it was worrysome enough. Eggs are laid 24-48 hours after seeing the egg formation so if you don´t have an egg in a couple of days either you were mistaken about the bump or it is stuck and needs vet attention. Laying an egg is a grand labour so I would worry about a poorly hen around laying time.

MangoTheLB

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much for your help. This morning she laid an infertile egg and is overall looking and acting much better than she was yesterday. I'll let her recover in her favourite spot in her cage since she's still a little shocked from the event but apart from that she's perfectly fine and active. Thank you both again!