• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Worried about blood feather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
We got home late this evening and when I went to get Tiki out of her cage I noticed what at first I thought was a mess she made of the strawberries I had given her~ then realized it was not only strawberry juice but BLOOD from a broken blood feather:omg:
I have no idea what the heck happened (she has been molting like crazy lately) looks like she stopped bleeding a while ago....what do I need to know and watch for?? She seems normal....whistled when we got home, and wanted to cuddle like usual before bed but now I am a bit worried.....do I need to find where it came out? Frustrating......I am not sure if most of the red inside her cage is strawberries or blood??? Should I keep checking on her tonight??:(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would find the feather and see how bad it is and where it's located. If it looks ragged and it's in a place where it's going to get banged up alot then I think I would pull it. If it's not too bad and not exposed or likely to get irritated I would leave it.

If you need to pull it, a second person to hold the bird is the way to go.

The tools you will need are a flash light to really see where it is, towel, a pair of sterilized needle nose plyers, and some kind of blood clotting material, super clot or cayanne pepper paste, flour or corn starch to staunch it in case it bleeds.

Get the other person to hold your bird, in a towel if he struggles or is bitey. Get your plyers in one hand and with your other hand place two fingers at the base of the feather shaft on the skin firmly to make sure your not pinching the skin with the plyers and to help keep the skin tight and in place when you yank the feather out.

Take your plyers and clamp them around the base of the shaft as close to the skin as possible. The shaft will feel and collaspe like a straw. Yank smoothly upwards... think of plucking an eyebrow, just pull slightly harder.

The shaft should come out with little to no bleeding, but if it does bleed use whatever you have to stop it.

Good luck.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Trish, how'd it go? Did you have to pull the blood feather?

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
I realize I posted in the middle of the night for most of you. I was up and down most of the night making sure Tiki didn't start bleeding again in her sleepy cage.....Never bled again and by the time I got her up this morning she had cleaned herself up.....I cannot see where the feather came from??
My husband thinks most of the red on her and the inside of the cage came from the strawberries ~ Steve said "do not give her any RED food while we are gone again!" lol Thanks Ginger for your helpful info....I am going to watch Tiki today.....Marie, thank you for your concern, hopefully everything is fine today :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Glad Tiki is okay!:hug8:

red food, red colored wood toys .....have freaked out here too on occasion :eek:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks for the 'happy ending' update. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.