• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wormville

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
No ♥ for worm pictures! :rofl:
I like mr. Longfellow at 2 o’clock in the picture. Plump happy worm!
soooo many babies!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry cant load many as AA is not working very good for me today, been a nightmare posting anything :(

The first pic is the fresher stuff mum threw in there yesterday or the day before and the second pic (if it loaded) is the pile of worms hiding up against the walls and under the fresh food waste. No need to panic if they are on the walls or huddled- some times it is a sign of problems but not always ;)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sorry cant load many as AA is not working very good for me today, been a nightmare posting anything :(

The first pic is the fresher stuff mum threw in there yesterday or the day before and the second pic (if it loaded) is the pile of worms hiding up against the walls and under the fresh food waste. No need to panic if they are on the walls or huddled- some times it is a sign of problems but not always ;)
Yes both pictures loaded. Ton of worms you have! Did they consume all their cardboard and paper?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They go through heaps of paper product! None of our paper waste ever gets put in the bin, the worms get it all. We bring most of our groceries home in cardboard boxes (most of the supermarkets and some other shops in the area offer them instead of disposable bags) so we use them for all groceries except for the colds and frozens which get put in proper reusable esky shopping bags. Lol mum even takes boxes and scraps from her friends to keep feeding her worms.

All the cardboard and paper we put in there the other week is gone!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Desperately looking for a rotten potato in today’s delivery. If I put chunks in they’ll grow right? Maybe at 5 am when Jack takes Boots down to Martine’s cottage to settle her down I’ll throw one in the vitamix and soak the fancy cardboard in the pulp. Yeah I’m just doing random stuff tonight :batonthehead:

B3B1A3F2-4073-489D-88A2-018FDE795C4A.jpeg 3DD52210-00CF-4CA7-8F07-5F82343A80F7.jpeg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What will grow? Potato or worms?

Ok, I now have help (and internet is running faster or something) so we checked the last worm bin for you, whole sheets of paper from Burt’s cage just screwed up and veg scraps thrown in top like you saw in first pic... 4AB7EDFD-ACDF-4CAC-ABAF-F0CE67289590.jpeg 9743B713-297B-4C42-A51E-7098AFDEDD55.jpeg D5B739C7-5920-4F0E-896A-0577CC9BC8B3.jpeg
It’s quite wet to the point that the very bottom bits of not yet eaten paper were running with liquid when lifted up. Someone forgot to open the drain tap! Lol. They were happy down there though as they could still get up out of the wet.
The first two pics in this post are paper from a few days ago (under a week old) and the worms are flocking to it, they really love Burt’s poop and food scraps!

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Ok, I now have help (and internet is running faster or something) so we checked the last worm bin for you, whole sheets of paper from Burt’s cage just screwed up and veg scraps thrown in top like you saw in first pic... View attachment 373924 View attachment 373925 View attachment 373927
It’s quite wet to the point that the very bottom bits of not yet eaten paper were running with liquid when lifted up. Someone forgot to open the drain tap! Lol. They were happy down there though as they could still get up out of the wet.
The first two pics in this post are paper from a few days ago (under a week old) and the worms are flocking to it, they really love Burt’s poop and food scraps!
Omg!!!! Amazing bunching of worms! Thanks so much for the pictures! I’m marveling at the clustering in Burt’s poopy papers! I’ll cut out choice sections from my ton of papers since bird poop is so delectable to your worms! These pictures are out of a magazine!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The bucket I had them in was also running in water at the bottom and they were all in there! I haven’t added water to this bin since I set it up. Also don’t put that much food in there. Yet the walls and lid drip with condensation. Where is it coming from?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I meant potatoes will sprout.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The bucket I had them in was also running in water at the bottom and they were all in there! I haven’t added water to this bin since I set it up. Also don’t put that much food in there. Yet the walls and lid drip with condensation. Where is it coming from?
The condensation is coming from the moisture in the foods you put in. Wet (in all our set ups) is good, swimming is bad.

I meant potatoes will sprout.
They should do if you cut them into chunks and make sure each chunk has an eye (the little dimple bits)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Old frozen Watermelon and raw potato glop smells so fresh alas. Should rot in the bin quickly.

EF4CFD36-EB6A-4341-B509-802CBED63FAE.jpeg DAC84D9A-74C3-4B41-B88A-DD7A9A061CEC.jpeg

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

Ok, I now have help (and internet is running faster or something) so we checked the last worm bin for you, whole sheets of paper from Burt’s cage just screwed up and veg scraps thrown in top like you saw in first pic... View attachment 373924 View attachment 373925 View attachment 373927
Wow Burt’s poop sure is raising amazingly healthy looking worms! :laugh:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can’t believe you’re snipping the poopy parts out :rofl:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Omg this poopy worm stuff has me :loltears: again!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Aeration video uploading. It smelled terrible at about 4” deep and is very dense and damp. Can’t squeeze to check for water because worms everywhere. Took effort to dig up. Upper layer above 4” is nice and airy and easy to turn.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Where were the worms? In the layer that’s dense and smelly?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Where were the worms? In the layer that’s dense and smelly?
Some in there. More in first three inches. See my hand struggling to dig in the corner last thing before I level it out again

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
No dead worms