• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worming

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It has been suggested to me that I worm Sheba for roundworms. It is supposed to be one of the number one killer of birds in FL. I was told to buy strongid, and give every six months. I was told if you walk outside and walk inside with the same shoes, you can bring in roundworms.
I was also looking at this, which is geared more for birds{although the active ingredient in both are the same}Worm Out Gel from Vetafarm: treat threadworm, tapeworm, roundworm, caecal worm, and hookworm
Anyone ever worm their birds here?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would not do anything without a vet being present.

Ginger

Patty

Meeting neighbors
I would have to have a vet tell me and direct me if that needed to be done.No over the counter meds when your not sure.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I never heard of that in a bird, but not sure. I would call the vet first and ask, stuff like that can be to strong.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Be cautious, that's my motto, with anything new. I'm not going to eat spoons-full of coconut oil either. Not 'till there is more than apocryphal evidence to support it's safety & effectiveness:D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
My friend has kept and bred macaws for decades. This is safe when dosed appropriately. It is simple to determine by weight, the amount needed.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think it's very, very rare for a bird to get worms and that only happens if the bird is living outdoors. I would definitely ask a vet first. A fecal will tell you whether or not your bird has a parasite and if it doesn't, then the medicine will do no good and could do harm.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
My friend lost her whole herd of chinchillas to roundworm...it came in the feed that was stored outdoors! Very scary. I will ask my vet next time I go in.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would think it more likely she has giardia and I would still do everything under a vet's supervision.

Ginger

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
"If its not broken, don't try to fix it"- author, I don't know, but its a popular saying around here. :o:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Carole, any vet can check for worms if you are worried. You don't even need to take Sheba in. Just stop by your local vet and ask them if you can have a fecal float container to collect some fresh poop with. Take it back to them and they can check for you. It only takes about 20 minutes for the test to be run. :) That's one of my jobs at the vet clinic. I get to play with all sorts of animal poop all day. Yay. :rolleyes:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I think I would op for having a vet test for it than give medication if you dont know if they actually need it

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ok..we have an appointment for Wednesday. I called a friend and found out the avian vet I liked, and wanted to see, has moved from over an hour away, to less than ten minutes away!:highfive:

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I always worm my birds once a year. I used to use the Vetafarm Wormout Gel but found it was very difficult to dissolve in water. I now use a product called Moxidectin Plus which does roundworm, tapeworm and mites. I only use it once a year and it has a large safety margin so it's pretty hard to overdose them. The other thing I like about it is that Moxidectin Plus also knocks out any blood sucking mites such air sac and scaley-face mites. :)

LuvMyAlex

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rhonda
I agree with only worming on the vets advice. However I have heard that chilli's are a natural wormer. Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

My birds get fresh chilli's everyday with their fruit and veg. It's the second thing they go for after the corn. :D

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've been given the Vetafarm wormout gel by our avian vet and fortunately for us the lories like wet mix and the lovebirds don't mind having some of the left overs! Much easier than the last working stuff which apparently tasted awful and all of our FIDs brought it back up again....all over their cages and walls. Day after full cage clean, I wasn't happy about another full scrub and wall scrub too lol. :D

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
I agree with only worming on the vets advice. However I have heard that chilli's are a natural wormer. Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

My birds get fresh chilli's everyday with their fruit and veg. It's the second thing they go for after the corn. :D
My AV is happy for me to worm mine annually.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I always worm my birds once a year. I used to use the Vetafarm Wormout Gel but found it was very difficult to dissolve in water. I now use a product called Moxidectin Plus which does roundworm, tapeworm and mites. I only use it once a year and it has a large safety margin so it's pretty hard to overdose them. The other thing I like about it is that Moxidectin Plus also knocks out any blood sucking mites such air sac and scaley-face mites. :)
I am in full agree of the above comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.