• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worming birds?

Jogging around the block
I've been hearing birds need to be wormed, which I have got some from the pet store (haven't used yet) . Is it really necessary to worm birds that aren't showing any signs of worms? I'd assume it's got quite a lot of chemicals in the dewormers, and the one I have is very strong (1ml per 9kg) . If I need to use it is there any effective natural alternatives? I will use it if needed, just wanted to double check.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I've read conflicting information on this subject. Some recommend worming on a regular schedule to control or eliminate worms, even if the bird appears healthy, as a preventative measure. Others recommend reserving treatment until symptoms are present to avoid possible side effects and minimize the development of worms that are resistant to deworming medicines.

I would recommend consulting with your vet before initiating any treatment. He can make sure it is appropriate for your bird and get you a safe and effective treatment.

And please be cautious with using home remedies and "natural" cures. Natural doesn't necessarily mean safe.

After all, Nature is full of spiders! :eek:

Jogging around the block
I've read conflicting information on this subject. Some recommend worming on a regular schedule to control or eliminate worms, even if the bird appears healthy, as a preventative measure. Others recommend reserving treatment until symptoms are present to avoid possible side effects and minimize the development of worms that are resistant to deworming medicines.

I would recommend consulting with your vet before initiating any treatment. He can make sure it is appropriate for your bird and get you a safe and effective treatment.

And please be cautious with using home remedies and "natural" cures. Natural doesn't necessarily mean safe.

After all, Nature is full of spiders! :eek:
Thanks, I'll check it out with the vet on their next appointment, they seem healthy for now so I don't think it'll hurt them to wait a week or so.
Yes I have seen some very ..interesting.. things with pet keeping for 'natural cures' , funny yet not so funny. Yes too many spiders for my liking :loltears:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My understanding is, if you live in the U.S. it isn't necessary usually. I think in other countries it's a more common practice. I think it in part depends on where your bird came from. I would never do it without consulting with a vet first. I have never done it with my birds and the rescue I volunteer at doesn't do it either.

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
I was under the impression a vet could test fecal samples to check for parasites. I took my sun conure in for a wellness visit right after I get him and the vet did routine fecal testing and said he did not have any parasites and wouldn’t need deworming medication.

Jogging around the block
My understanding is, if you live in the U.S. it isn't necessary usually. I think in other countries it's a more common practice. I think it in part depends on where your bird came from. I would never do it without consulting with a vet first. I have never done it with my birds and the rescue I volunteer at doesn't do it either.
All my birds (apart from the pigeons who were from a breeder-I'm very disappointed in myself for forgetting them in my intro to birds-) did come from the pet shop, wasn't the most sanitary place and they never tell the buyers where the birds are from, so mine are probably more likely to need it. But I will only get them done if the vet says it's necessary.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
All my birds (apart from the pigeons who were from a breeder-I'm very disappointed in myself for forgetting them in my intro to birds-) did come from the pet shop, wasn't the most sanitary place and they never tell the buyers where the birds are from, so mine are probably more likely to need it. But I will only get them done if the vet says it's necessary.
Ask your vet about it. I was always under the impression that it was more an issue for aviary birds, not indoor birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I asked my vet about worming my birds, she said it’s not good practice to do it for preventative measures in most cases.
She said she only recommends it if there are definitely signs of worms or if the birds have come from a flock or home with other birds that were known to have them.

Jogging around the block
Ask your vet about it. I was always under the impression that it was more an issue for aviary birds, not indoor birds.
Yes I've also heard most diseases are a big problem for aviary birds. All my birds are divided by cage bars so I imagine for worms it wouldn't be too contagious, although I do have 9 birds in one cage which is quite a lot. I have seen pretty sketch looking birds in the pet stores I buy from so I be extra careful to watch for illness after bringing home, but all mine so far seem fine.

Jogging around the block
I asked my vet about worming my birds, she said it’s not good practice to do it for preventative measures in most cases.
She said she only recommends it if there are definitely signs of worms or if the birds have come from a flock or home with other birds that were known to have them.
Thankyou Shezbug , that actually helps a lot. I would agree with what she said, it's a bit harder to treat problems resistant to treatment so I'll just stick to not giving them any unless they show symptoms.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Screech can we see pics of all ur gifs, you’ll come to find I’m quite nosy :lol: :embarassed:

Jogging around the block
@Screech can we see pics of all ur gifs, you’ll come to find I’m quite nosy :lol: :embarassed:
could you explain what gifs exactly? sorry about me, im not the best at tech :loltears: even though i dont know what ur talking about the awnser is prolly yeah sure , idm nosy people my dog likes to spy on the neighbor :laughin:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never been advised by any vet to proactively worm my birds. That's over 3 vets, a petco bird, a breeder bird, a rehome, a rescue adoption, and a craiglist adoption.