• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worming and antibiotic?

Duck duck

Checking out the neighborhood
Can you give a bird ( rainbow lorriket ) antibiotics and worming syrup at the same time? Or antibiotics and vitamins together?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does your lorri have worms? Birds shouldn't be given worming meds unless they actually have worms. It's not preventative like with cats and dogs. Also, if your bird has a healthy diet, I am not a big believer in added vitamins

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
These things I believe should also only be given if an Avian Vet has recommended them, did your vet recommend them?

Duck duck

Checking out the neighborhood
No The Avian vet near us ( 2 hours away) is on break at the moment. I rang a pet store and they said to, al though they had no idea thats why i thought it be best to ask others in their opinions

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
OMG!! I am so glad you asked here before following their advise...... a pet store should never sell nor recommend antibiotics and I am amazed how often I hear of them telling people to worm without a valid reason to do so- they seem to have no idea how important correct antibiotic choice, dosage and usage is nor that very few birds ever need worming.

My AV is about that distance away too :laugh:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The pet store gave you some incredibly bad advice. Both antibiotics and worming treatment should only be prescribed by a vet. Birds don't need routine worming like cats and dogs, and should only be treated if they actually have worms.

Antibiotic use is complicated. Different bacteria are sensitive to different antibiotics. To work out which antibiotic to use, a vet will take a swab (e.g. of the crop if there's something wrong there, an injury etc) and culture the bacteria, then work out which antibiotic the bacteria are most senstive to. Using the wrong antibiotic actually encourages antibiotic-resistant bacteria to flourish; it will kill off the weaker bacteria and allow antibiotic-resistant bacteria to grow. These are much harder to treat and you will have a much bigger problem on your hands. Again, birds don't need routine antibiotics (no one does!) and I'm baffled why a pet shop thinks it appropriate to advise you to use them.