• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Working Full Time

Lilbirdapp

Moving in
Real Name
Trisha
Is it possible to work full time and own an African Grey, or do you need to be home more for them?

Or does it depend on how your bird was raised as to what they will see as normal?

I have other birds, just not an African Grey

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Not many of us bird owners are rich enough to 'kick back' at home with birds all day! :laugh:
Boy but I wish I could.
I work full time. My birds (have had them all for over 20 years) have done fine with all that ins and outs that entails.
As long as your home time is quality, and you give your bird stuff to do while you're at work, it should be fine.
Now if you're a party animal, come home, spruce up and go out for the night.
That's not fair to your bird and would likely cause issues.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I admire Macawpower... ;)
I work mostly from home, just have to be at the lab 3 hours a day in the morning :)
Hubby comes home (6pm), we watch TV or play a board game, asleep by 9.

But I think it depends on the size of the cage, enrichment and species.
Another question: will they flourish when out?.... enrichment toys, engaging activity, lifestyle, should be awesome!

My CAG was as active as a puppy (never potty trained, LOL)... but was EVERYWHERE.... when we were home, she lived with us.

Lilbirdapp

Moving in
Real Name
Trisha
Not many of us bird owners are rich enough to 'kick back' at home with birds all day! :laugh:
Boy but I wish I could.
I work full time. My birds (have had them all for over 20 years) have done fine with all that ins and outs that entails.
As long as your home time is quality, and you give your bird stuff to do while you're at work, it should be fine.
Now if you're a party animal, come home, spruce up and go out for the night.
That's not fair to your bird and would likely cause issues.
This is good to hear!!!! Many times on bird groups you see people get shamed who are away from home for 8hrs a day while at work. I work and have a caique, conure, and cockatiel. They seem fine to me, but I know Greys can be more sensitive.