• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Woohoo I *might* be leasing a horse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I need you's to keep your fingers crossed for me. :dance4:

Not that long ago I put an ad up about wanting to lease a horse, wether it was broken in or not, it didn't matter. I stated I have a lot of experience with horses, broken in a horse, done stable hand jobs and rah rah, I also said I'd be willing to work for it, as in... cleaning tack and any stables or pastures the horse is in.. as well as just looking after/caring for the horse in general.

A woman emailed me this morning saying she has an 18 month old "filly" that's unbroken and needs to be broken in (no worries, I've broken in my current horse Rev) and she said she's done tons of work with the filly, only she's just about to have a baby and she doesn't want to sell the filly but is willing to let me lease her for 2 years FOR FREE! :dancing: She lives in my area and I don't drive so that was also a bonus - I emailed her to ask if I can have a look at the filly whenever possible and have a talk to her and etc.

OOH I'm so excited. Even more so excited I get to break another horse in hopefully. :)

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
aww!!! that sounds wonderful!! take pictures!!! I hope it works out!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you! :D I got an email back, her name is Milly (the horse) and I got a photo and a video of her.. :omg: she's so beautiful!

Oh yeah, might be going to see her today too. :dance4::dance4:

Here's Milly

Attachments

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
CUTE!!!! Gorgeous pic!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Well, I went there this afternoon - it felt like it took forever to get there on the bus! :eek:

She's so much cuter in person, and she's not the only horse there either, the lady has another horse Pumpkin who's blind in one eye but can still be ridden and then there's the ladies sisters horse, who's a show horse, wow they were all so beautiful though! another few horses were someone's, I think the person who owns the property the horses are on owns the other horses.

Anyway, I spent a few good hours there this afternoon. We stayed in the paddock, and I was leading Milly around as well as lunging her, she played up a bit, but the lady said she likes to test new people, but I didn't take any of her crap and wasn't a softy at all. Milly's going to need a lot of ground work before I can break her in, so a few weeks of ground work and see how we go before I saddle her up. The lady also said when I break Milly into the saddle that I can take her to pony club which is just around the corner from the property the horses are on, so that's great, hopefully once she's broken into the saddle I can start taking her to pony club, I'm really looking forward to it all.

That's about it.. I'm going back there on the weekend to ride Pumpkin the half blind horse, and I'm going to do some more ground work with Milly and get her used to me and working with her since I'll be doing all the work with her now. (the ladies sister was working with her a lot before)

I feel extremely lucky because she said a lot of other people have wanted to lease Milly but they didn't have the experience Milly needs. :)

I'll try get some more photos on the weekend, I didn't want to take photos straight away and I didn't get the chance to ask her because we done lots of talking and spent awhile meeting Milly.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats! Millie is beautiful. How long does it generally take to break in a horse? It must be so much fun and a lot of dedication. :D

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Congratulations Renae!!
Horses are such an awesome experience, I feel blessed to have them in my life and never take it for granted :) Are they going to be paying for Milly, or are you taking over board and food payments...?
She looks like an arab or arab cross, very pretty horse :D. If you're thinking of breaking her in, I highly recommend researching the natural horsemanship technique. Currently, I'm working with a trainer to break in ALL of my parents horses :faint: but this has been coming along very well using this technique! My gelding Booker, who I was told was "a bust, and insane" is able to be ridden bareback over plastic tarp with just a single lead rope thats flung over his head to put pressure on either side of the neck this guy wants him to rein from. Its amazing!
The difference in our horses in just how we interact with them is quite astounding.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:dance4: Thanks guys! I'm so excited still. I haven't done riding for ages, and since I don't get to see my horse, this will make up for all the times I've missed. :hehe:

I'm paying for everything for Milly now.. I've gotta buy her a bridle and that's it, the lady's buying all her rugs tomorrow for her for winter, so I don't have to buy her any rugs now - she's got a saddle and all that already which is really good considering. :)

Funny you say that about natural horsemanship, that's what we were talking about today, and that's what we're going to be doing - I'm new to it so she's going to help as much as she can, but she can only do so much since she's pregnant. She was talking about a tarp too and that on the weekend when I go see Milly again, she's going to give me it for Milly! Good luck breaking in 4, that'd be harder then just 1. :lol:

Marie, thank you. :D It varies really, you can't give an exact amount of time, but so long as you keep up the training and make sure you have the horses trust then you'll be fine, it also takes a lot of patience.

Last edited:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
She is gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies.