• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wood Perches

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Hey guys I wanted to ask you if gulmohar wood is safe for budgies.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you mean Delonix regia? Latin names are more useful when trying to find out information as there are so many common names.

If it is, then this site indicates that it's mildly toxic to dogs. I wouldn't give it - birds are so much smaller and more likely to chew bark.

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Yes it is delonix Regis. Sorry for the inconvenience. Is there any other trees which I can find easily in my neighborhood

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe if you give your general area, people could suggest trees that are common in your province/ state/ territory. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Recently discovered that apparently sheesham is common there and safe too.

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
I do have a few of them is eucalyptus globulus okay? I have that in a park near me. Thank you all got your valuable advice

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do have a few of them is eucalyptus globulus okay? I have that in a park near me. Thank you all got your valuable advice
As far as I am aware all Eucalyptus trees are safe

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Are you sure that tree in the park hasn't been treated with pesticides?

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
I'm quite sure cause there are a very few people who come there. Even I don't go there often. Even if I'm wrong I don't see the problem...

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I'm assuming you're replying to Sunni Tiel's question.

I can sort of see the relevance of your first statement - the locality might be less likely to expend resources spraying an area that isn't used much. But, that's an assumption and goes to how much risk you're okay with. I don't know how responsive municipal services are near you (I expect they'd just laugh if I called the local parks service where I used to live - assuming anyone picked up the phone) but you could call whatever agency is in charge of the park and ask if they spray the trees or the park generally with pesticides.

As to the last sentence, pesticides are dangerous for birds. Potentially more so than using the wrong wood for a perch. Although, of course, that depends on the wood and the pesticide.

I give my birds (also Australian natives) eucalyptus leaves and branches and they love them, so if you can find a safe source, your birds will appreciate it.

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
I'm quite sure cause there are a very few people who come there. Even I don't go there often. Even if I'm wrong I don't see the problem...
Your birds will chew the bark off the new perches, if they are treated with pesticides they will ingest them and most likely get sick.

Reactions: tka

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Even if they were treated with pesticides I will... I don't exactly know how to tell you this... Like wash it off with vinegar or bleach... So most likely they will was off right?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Like wash it off with vinegar or bleach... So most likely they will was off right?
I believe it depends on what kind of pesticide was used. They each have different half lives.

Thoroughly sanitizing may not be sufficient if pesticides were used, IMO. Birds are small and very sensitive so it doesn’t take much to make them ill or worse.
So while you could sanitize any wood you find to the best of your ability (bleach mixture, hot water, letting it dry in the sun to kill any bacteria or mold.) - if it’s been sprayed with pesticides there is still a substantial risk involved for your bird.

It’s worth checking with your park to see if they use them and tossing them if they do spray. Better to be safe than sorry.

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Thank you... Can anyone else tell me about delonix Regia... This is surely safe one... I am asking this again cause the poison is for dogs and I was wondering if birds are not toxic towards it?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you... Can anyone else tell me about delonix Regia... This is surely safe one... I am asking this again cause the poison is for dogs and I was wondering if birds are not toxic towards it?
Internet says it’s toxic for parrots