• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wood chips in food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Should I be worried about wood chips in Goofy's food dishes? No matter where I put her toys she always gets wood and cardboard in her dry food dishes. In with her pellets mostly. Ever since I read about the Ekkie that died from ingesting fibers from a sock that was used as a foraging toy I've been a little paranoid about non-food items in her food dishes.

Today there was wood in 2 out of 3 food dishes. This means that she carried a foot toy up to one of her dishes (the highest dish) and dismembered it there while I wasn't looking. Is it any wonder we named her Goofy?

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
As long as you change out fresh foods regularly (about every 2 hours or so) and you change out pellet bowls regularly (every other day or so) ... you should be fine.

I had a LSC2 that would shred wood to saw dust and only in his pellet bowl ... daily, until it over flowed to the floor. To this day he still does it! He can mulch a garden in a week - no lie. He's about 19 years old and has no problems other than he's hormonal and has some FDB (feather destructive behavior) from past owner separation anxiety.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
Because The G2s play area runs above their cage; all sorts of mystery stuff ends up in their food bowl.

Consider it a foraging activity. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
My wife always says I worry to much about my fabies. But then she'd rather I'd worry too much than too little.:) Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.