• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

woobie love, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shershe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherri
I adopted a cockatiel named Butters on Sunday. He has what his previous momma called his "woobie". She had given him lots of store bought happy hut type snugglies, only to have him snub his nose at all of them. She thought he needed something soft to cuddle up to and sleep, so she stuck a washcloth thru the cage bars and he loved it immediately. This is now what we call his woobie. He whispers to it. He grooms it. He feeds it. And just once I caught him doing, well, what I would consider humping it.

The thing I hate about the woobie is that it is filthy. It needs washed desperately. But, his previous momma told me that when she would try to remove the woobie from the cage to wash it, and once to try to replace it, he would scream and scream and carry on.

So, I decided that since he already is going through stress having to move to a new home and get to know new people, etc. that I do not want to stress him any further. Every day he is seeming to settle in more and more here, seeming to be more comfortable. He is very friendly and tame. But, at first he would scream if I removed his food dish, but now he doesn't because I imagine he's learned that I'm not taking it away, just giving him more yummy food. At first he would only sit on my finger, but would not allow any head scritching. After the second day, he started asking for head scritches and now loves it all the time.

I plan on introducing a new, much larger cage (the HQ flight cage) next week, with lots of new toys. I plan on sitting it up beside the small cage he has now and letting him (hopefully) crawl over on his own and investigate and get used to it before taking the old cage away.

Maybe then I would be able to wash the woobie and put it back in clean, or should I just put a new woobie (washcloth) in the new cage and hope he transfers his woobie affection to the new one?

Here is a video of Butters with his woobie. This is the only time I've seen him actually "loving" it. haha

woobie love on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to not allow him to have a woobie friend, just want to make sure his friend(s) are clean. ;)

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
Be careful with the washcloth 'woobie'. This is a post/warning in the safety section about strings from towels. You might want to check it out. Sorry I don't know how to post the link.

shershe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherri
Micki ~ OMGoodness! I just checked out that thread and Now I really want to get rid of it, but I'm still worried about him freaking out and feather plucking if I do. I think I will leave it in for now. I mean, it's been in there for a very, very long time...maybe as long as a year!!! haha It barely resembles it's former washcloth self. But, I now know that once I set up the new cage and give Butters a few days to become comfortable with it and he will have new, safe soft snuggly toys, then I will take the washcloth woobie out of the cage for good.

One of the new toys I bought Butters is from Avian Antics. It's called a Feather Duster and is made of no-pill fleece. I just ordered the toys today, so they won't be here for awhile. I will visit the local fabric store and buy some fleece fabric, cut a washcloth sized square and replace the woobie with that.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Wow, sounds like butters really likes his woobie...That toy from AA sounds like its going to be great, but if he thinks the "woobie" is his mate, you might want to check this out:
Birdsafe Snuggler Species - The Birdsafe Store

They sell it at the Birdsafe store, and it comes in "cockatiel", so it resembles one. Just thought I would share :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes I would definitely be careful with that woobie as they can eat the threads and get very ill..so wait for your bird safe whatever it is to come and make the sub...by the way no happy huts are recommended for male tiels as they usually will then become completely absorbed with the happy hut and go in it and never come out except to eat and drink..you dont want that...and with females well it encourages egg laying behavior..or can you think of finding a nice washcloth that is clean that has no pulls etc that you can sub for now..????or clean it really fast..(no fabric softener b y the way either)..just quickly throw it in with a load of old clothes or something (no bleach either)

Micki

Real Name
Micki
Wow, sounds like butters really likes his woobie...That toy from AA sounds like its going to be great, but if he thinks the "woobie" is his mate, you might want to check this out:
Birdsafe Snuggler Species - The Birdsafe Store

They sell it at the Birdsafe store, and it comes in "cockatiel", so it resembles one. Just thought I would share :)
That is so cool! My green cheek had something he would snuggle up to. Rope and beads. The rope was unwound on the ends. It got really dirty so I made another. But the string thing could happen with that too. He just loves to snuggle with it though.

I may have to try out the birdsafe snuggler. I like that! Thanks for posting that. May get one for both birds!

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would take it out when you switch cages and give him the snuggle. JMO. He will get over it, birds can adapt to new loves. :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That was an adorable video. Yeah be careful with stuff like that. Squeeky got his nail caught in a toy that wasn't specifically for birds and he almost broke his leg.

shershe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherri
I decided to work my way up to removing the woobie. Up until now, I've kept his cage just as it was in his previous home. Today, I moved all the toys (except one bell toy that he whispers to) in his cage to different places and removed a couple that were in really bad shape. I also moved one of his perches. He screamed and complained at first, but I just kept telling him that it was okay and talking to him and going about my business. He settled down finally and watched me finish the rearranging. And now, I've seen him playing with the one toy I moved. Before I moved it, he hadn't done so much as look at it. I now have a good feeling that he will be able to adapt when I remove the woobie. I'll do it as soon as I have his new soft toys to replace it.

Thanks for all the advice and support!

shershe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherri
Update! I noticed that the past 2 days Butters had not paid any attention to the woobie. She (I now believe Butters is a girl) hadn't snuggled with it, fed it, picked at it...nothing. So, just now while I was at her cage, talking to her, I grabbed it and pulled it through the cage bars a bit. She didn't squawk or show any concern. So, I just pulled the whole thing out of the cage, hid it behind my back, talked to her a bit more and then walked away with it. Yay! No more woobie worry. haha

I think maybe she only needed the woobie because she wasn't getting enough human attention. Now that I'm playing with her daily, and she's getting lots of social interaction she "broke up" with her woobie. lol!

Micki

Real Name
Micki
Are you sure it wasn't a "take, take, take"? :hehe::hehe::hehe:

I'm glad everything is OK now. Be sure to give the woobie a proper burial!

cnmngrl

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jo
Have you or his previous mom Tried the corner snuggle tents?

like this (i think pet smart sells them too)

Cozy Corner for Birds
My gals love their Snuggies! There is nothing they can pull off, get caught, etc. The washcloth looks a little gross, particularly in light of what he does on it. You can get these at most pet and bird stores. Way easy to sew if you are handy like that.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Butters is RIDICULOUSLY adorable. OMG, love the name and I just LOVE him!

I like the Snuggler from Bird Safe Store that Natalie linked above. What a great idea!

Pickle has a "Perfect Preener" from Chopper's Toys that he LOVES to hide under. Beetle had one that he loved just as much (he was buried with it). I hang it over a perch and Pickle can either cuddle up next to it OR under it as he sees fit: Chopper's Toys for feather picking, plucking, preening, parrots

Best of luck... and MORE BUTTERS PIX, please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.