• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Won't poop in cage at all

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
Hi; I have a 4ish month old GCC who will not poop in her cage at all. She has her spots in my room; like my mousepad & windowcill but she doesn't seem interested in pooping in her cage. I've gotten her to poop in the toilet every morning so she can get her big poops out & she definitely has a large amount of poops throughout the day it's just that she doesn't poop in her cage.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
The cage for them is usually like their nest / roost so they like to keep it clean. Is it only at night or during the day as well? They almost never poop at night and do one big poop in the morning when they leave the roost. Again, this is so that they don't poop on each other while roosting.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I knew a rescue green conure (holochlora) that refused to poop in cage at all. It would hang on side of cage and shoot it out. Apparently the previous owner was a hoarder and never cleaned the cages. So there were huge mountains of poop in the cages. The bird became fearful that would happen in new home so never let poop fall in cage bottom. It was interesting in that the paper at bottom of cage in new home was spotless but around the cage was a wall protector and papers on floor to catch all the droppings. Sad

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Bird neurosis aside (poor birdy!), it can just be a part of the temperament. Our little Roseifrons conure refuses to poop in her sleeping cage as well . . . But has no problem pooping in her travel cage . . . Except . . . They're the same cage :facepalm:

From lights out to collecting her in the morning, she holds it, and first thing we give her a good spot to let it out. Within five minutes, one massive poop, usually in a place that she's deemed appropreate. Never trained her to do this, just shaped it a bit so she has a few good spots we all can agree on.

She spends most of the day out of that cage, but if we go on a trip, back in that same cage and into the car it goes. Going down the road, she's got no problem soiling the cageliner, universally in one of two places. Might be the same space, but the context is different . . . And she sets the rules :shrug:

Haydenb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hayden Barr
Yeah it could be the fact that she spends a lot of time with me & she just very much prefers to be around me and my family rather than in the cage because she poops often on the playstand I got her recently