• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wonky Wings, Wonky Balance

cjlandrew

Moving in
Real Name
Caroline A.
Hello!

We recently rehomed a delightful Senegal named Kitty. I had posted previously about behavioral issues and hormonal problems and he is doing so much better, but we do have some issues I think are contributed to his wings.

When Kitty went from home 1 to home 2, home 2 clearly had no idea what they were doing and horrendously botched clipping his wings. Shortly after, he was surrendered and placed for adoption through our local bird store (early March ish). When we adopted him, they did their best to even out his wings, but they are sad looking. I’d post better pictures, but he gets extremely upset when we try and touch them.

He has serious balance issues that we originally thought was derpiness but we are realizing is probably caused by his wing imbalance. Is this something any of you are familiar with? Our avian vet is not taking non-emergency visits right now, so I don’t have a local expert to turn to. How long would it take something like this to correct? I’ve seen articles online about feather replacement, but that seems very drastic! I’m just so worried he’s going to injure himself, he’s fallen off his cage multiple times while playing, and while he is admittedly a pretty aloof bird, I worried for his safety! 806649F8-B6CF-4F61-8C47-6146346FA30B.jpeg C112F8B0-1390-4E79-855B-7466151B5AB4.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Once he molts and grows new feathers all should be back to normal if it is indeed his wings causing the balance issues. I once had a budgie that only had one wing clipped and it had trouble with everything to do with balance :(

I am not sure what you mean by feather replacement.... are you referring to imping?

cjlandrew

Moving in
Real Name
Caroline A.
Once he molts and grows new feathers all should be back to normal if it is indeed his wings causing the balance issues. I once had a budgie that only had one wing clipped and it had trouble with everything to do with balance :(

I am not sure what you mean by feather replacement.... are you referring to imping?
Imping sounds right. I was reading articles about balance issues and it came up for extreme cases. My concern is we’re not talking about a little clipping, I’ve never seen a bird clipped this far. Primaries and secondary feather, gone. This could easily take upwards of 6m to a year to regrow.

cjlandrew

Moving in
Real Name
Caroline A.
I feel like I should specify too, he doesn’t fall and flutter like a normally clipped bird. He falls like a rock and no amount of flapping helps.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am not really sure what to advise but I will tag @Hankmacaw and @Macawnutz who might be able to give you some information on imping as I believe they may know a bit about it.
I do not think there are many options here other than imping or waiting for the molt. The only other option I have heard of sounded seriously cruel and barbaric and I do not agree with it myself and I am not sure it is something that a vet would advise either as it is cruel... I remember reading someone giving another member some tips about making the feathers grow back in by force :(

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
For the dropping like a rock I would be padding the ground pretty well where he is spending most of his time. I would also put up birdie perch highways so he can navigate his way around without leaving a perch. He will hopefully use the perch highway instead of trying to fly from point A to point B.
People are so cruel and horrid doing things like this to such magnificent creatures because they are too lazy to deal with it...... I always wonder why people who want to clip have anything to do with an animal that is totally designed for flight.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I always wonder why people who want to clip have anything to do with an animal that is totally designed for flight.
:xflove:

If I am honest, the best way would to let them molt out and replaced naturally. I think imping is probably not necessary as it should correct itself after the next molt.

Wow, lots of 'molt' in one sentence...

he’s fallen off his cage multiple times while playing, and while he is admittedly a pretty aloof bird, I worried for his safety!
Could you put a little 'fence' around the top of the cage to prevent him from falling?

Also, something like this would be good for him to travel around the room, similar to @Shezbug s perch highway.

If you hang it on the ceiling at multiple points, then your senegal can go along the rope.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Imping is not invasive nor is it painful, but it is expensive and not all vets are adept at performing an Imp. Probably allowing him to molt and regrow his feathers is the best solution. Until then keep his perches and toys low with padding under them and don't give him the opportunity to fall any distance. His balance will improve, but one bad fall can injure him - especially his breastbone can be cracked.

Just protect him and maybe his next molt will be soon.

cjlandrew

Moving in
Real Name
Caroline A.
He fortunately doesn’t really attempt to fly, he’s got pathways to and from his cage to the floor and from the floor to the play places in the other room. It’s the clumsiness, one minute he’s playing a second later he’s head first on the floor! I’ll try a fence, I’ve got something on the back of the cage, and there padding on one side but I’ll see what else I can come up with!