• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Won’t stop laying eggs

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
Hi, my cockatiel layed an egg on august 16th and 18th and then two more last week. Now she still keeps doing the mating call. I switched her cage to a new one yesterday but she still does the mating call. I really don’t want her to lay anymore eggs. How can I stop her?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:bump4:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think the vet is a good idea. Monthly egg laying is not good.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels will lay an egg every couple days when laying but shouldn't be doing it monthly. If this is the first time she's doing this, there are steps you can take to try to stop it. This is a good article on the egg laying process and what you can try to do: Cockatiels, egg laying process, chronic egg laying in cockatiels and single birds, female cockatiels laying eggs,chronic reproductive syndrome, single birds laying eggs, how to stop a cockatiel and other birds from laying eggs, how avian bird eggs are fertilized, avian female reproductive system. (cockatielcottage.net)

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
Cockatiels will lay an egg every couple days when laying but shouldn't be doing it monthly. If this is the first time she's doing this, there are steps you can take to try to stop it. This is a good article on the egg laying process and what you can try to do: Cockatiels, egg laying process, chronic egg laying in cockatiels and single birds, female cockatiels laying eggs,chronic reproductive syndrome, single birds laying eggs, how to stop a cockatiel and other birds from laying eggs, how avian bird eggs are fertilized, avian female reproductive system. (cockatielcottage.net)
Thank you, I will read this :)

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
I called the vet and she just said to keep the cage covered earlier at night and later into the morning.
Should I let her nest them by keeping her in the first cage or should I discourage nesting?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I would discourage nesting, and move her cage around, make sure you don't have anywhere where she can nest

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Frost did that when she was alive, my budgie triggered it with her egg laying. I got Frost a bigger cage, rearranged her stuff and scattered her food to make her forage for it. Eventually she decided it wasnt the right time to have a baby and never laid another egg as long as she lived but before that it was a near monthly thing.

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
Frost did that when she was alive, my budgie triggered it with her egg laying. I got Frost a bigger cage, rearranged her stuff and scattered her food to make her forage for it. Eventually she decided it wasnt the right time to have a baby and never laid another egg as long as she lived but before that it was a near monthly thing.
Oh wow. Thanks for the advice, I will try anything!

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
Sorry everyone, I just have one more question, I’m a little confused. I read to limit sunlight so I have been keeping her room not well lit. I have the curtains closed and just the ceiling light on. But then I read so keep her in a well lit room because dark ones will make her want to nest. So which is better?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I read to limit sunlight so I have been keeping her room not well lit.
That is what it looks like inside a nest.

So which is better?
Both.
You need to extend nighttime but have bright light during the day. Never a dimmed light through the day. Cover the cage at night for darkness, increasing your usual bedtime by an hour or two.

Kimchee216

Strolling the yard
That is what it looks like inside a nest.

Both.
You need to extend nighttime but have bright light during the day. Never a dimmed light through the day. Cover the cage at night for darkness, increasing your usual bedtime by an hour or two.
Ok thank you!