• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Won’t chew anything

YoYo&Dale

Moving in
Real Name
Dale
Hi YoYo is a 2 year old Pacific Parrotlet I’m worried that his beak is getting too long! He will NOT chew on anything! I have tried everything under the sun! When I got him at 6 weeks he chewed a lot !now , nothing. 29A7E9E6-F2C9-4FEB-B324-880DD7A657B3.jpeg I’m thinking he now has too many other things to do. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Have you tried bark, cuttlebone and yucca?

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Maybe also put his favorite treats inside some foraging toys so that he has to work and chew to get them.

Have you seen a vet just to make sure there's nothing more going on?

What things did he chew on previously?

YoYo&Dale

Moving in
Real Name
Dale
Maybe also put his favorite treats inside some foraging toys so that he has to work and chew to get them.

Have you seen a vet just to make sure there's nothing more going on?

What things did he chew on previously?
Ok thanks, I’ll try the foraging toys, he throws his toys around fine, climbs , cracks sunflower seeds all well His cage and our living room, where he is out all day , is full of poplar, lilac and maple climbing things and perches The only thing I can see is our coffee table has natural oak legs, that I knew wasn’t ok for him to chew on so I put socks on the legs. But he got scolded for going there before I thought of that idea Maybe he thinks chewing is a bad thing ? When he was young he chewed though a poplar perch twice! No problem

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
Since he’s not chewing on anything, his beak just continues to grow - like our fingernails do. I would recommend taking him to your vet for a grooming appointment.