• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Womanning up for what I've done..

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Hiya, it's me again. Well, you know when I posted that one thread about me 'forgetting to take the nest out'? I said I was going to take it out that day...but I never did. I kept saying "darn it! Well, I'll do it tomorrow." I was a cycle like that. It never got done, and now Bluebell has laid more eggs in there...I would take it out now if I could believe me. But like I said before I really love animals, can't stand the thought of hurting them. Last I saw there were only two eggs, I was like "okay, I can do this." About taking the nest out, but I really didn't want to make Bluebell more scared of me than she already was, so I was gonna take the nest when she wasn't in there(she was going out for food and water every now and then). But then she started not leaving it at all, I really didn't want to scare her out of the nest cause well...I'm scared of doing little things like that. I'm worried one little slip up could lead to a big problem. I was so scared I would mess up and end up hurting her and the other parakeets in the cage. I panicked whenever I thought about it..Now when I last saw in the nest there were 6 eggs...Last time there was only four, and two didn't even make it in the nest(It was her first time). The nest she is in now can barely hold the two that were hatched in there before when they grew, it can't handle 6!! I feel so bad, i kept on thinking of all the things that can go wrong, the parents have been sitting on the eggs for a while now, kinda close to 18 days. I don't want to take away their young ones lives even before they are hatched! If it was anytime sooner I would take them and the nest out, but even my father has agreed it would be cruel to do this now, after all this. I'm not gonna do it now no matter how much I want to or have too. I know it's likely not all of them are going to survive, but I still want to do what I can now. I'm thinking of moving the nest and the parents to another cage before they hatch. Putting the very small nest into a box into the other cage so they won't be in a horribly small nest that whole time, I know the parakeets would prefer a the nest higher up in the cage but it's either this or the little ones being in a crowded small place right from hatching, I know I'm probably overthinking this and should let nature take its course but I just feel so bad! I'm the reason this is happening, I should woman up to it(I'm a girl). I hope you all understand my problem in this area and you will not judge me to harshly for my mistake.

-stevetomobs

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Well, lets see what others might have to say..........I'm not very experienced but not sure about moving mom, dad and eggs to another cage. That might be too much and that could disrupt their egg sitting. How many cage mates are there and how large is the cage.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You sound so full of all kinds of emotions. Now that you have 2 babies to help care for and their parents make the best of it. If the babies make it you can try to find them a home among the members here. Don't beat up on yourself. Focus on what needs to be done. You need to feed the parents nourishing food because they feed the babies. You will need another cage for when they are eating on their own. We have members here who can help you with questions or concerns.

If you move the nest the parents could stop feeding the babies or worse. Keep them quiet as much as possible. Read up on raising budgie babies. Read up on hand feeding.

Last edited:

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
I'm gonna try to get through this best I can, and if moving the parents and nest will cause problems I might have a real issue. The nest is literally around the size of a full roll of toilet paper(not to mention it's one of those horrible round coconut things..). In the current cage(including the parents) there are six parakeets. I don't want to do anything by moving the nest if it would cause major problems, but I might have no choice considering how small the current nest is.