• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wolf spiders and budgies

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Not sure this is in the correct place but here we go. So we were just hanging out with Lily, our budgie, in her cage. All of a sudden I felt something crawling on me. I freaked out and swatted and it got flung onto Lonny and started crawling up his back. It turned out that it was a huge wolf spider! My question is, will and can my budgie be hurt by this spider? Wolf spiders are hunters and don't use webs, but typically only go after insects. What are the chances my Lily could get bitten and die? I have the offender trapped in a bottle, (don't ask how I did this being crazy scared of spiders. I think mommy instincts kicked in.) Anyway, I just need to know the danger level here. Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We have wolf spiders here but they hardly ever come into the house. They can get quite big though. I am more concerned about them eating my fish than getting at my birds simply because we hardly ever get any in the house (where my birds are) and the ones I see outside are so fast and jump so far that they are actually quite hard to catch.

I guess the chances of your budgies being harmed are sort of dependant on a few things like how big and well fed the spiders are, how many you have near your birds cages and how much space or area your birds have to get away from and stay safe from any spiders you may have living near the cages.

I find when they become too much of a problem or there are too many of them that I can make a heap of our wolf spiders move on- I flood the ground and as they all come out of their little holes then I can catch and move the spiders to the paddock behind our house so they are away from the fish pond.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wolf spiders tend to only bite things they intend to eat, or when provoked to defend themselves. I'm guessing that they would not actively try to attack your bird but would defend themselves if needed.

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
What would their venom do if she did get bit? I am just thinking worst case scenario, since that's what we usually get.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
We get them occasionally at the mechanic shop I work at, but very rarely do we get them in the house. Spiders creep me out

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What would their venom do if she did get bit? I am just thinking worst case scenario, since that's what we usually get.
I'm honestly not sure. They don't pose much of a threat to people but for a budgie I'd probably take them to the vet as they are so much smaller than we are

Reactions: Ali

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suggest you release the spider far from your home being very careful not to get injured in the process (you may want to get someone to help), if you haven't already. It's not fair to just keep it there.

I'd not trust such a big spider with such a small bird, & a quick search revealed that they're not picky about food. Is there any way to secure the area against them?

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
How
We have wolf spiders here but they hardly ever come into the house. They can get quite big though. I am more concerned about them eating my fish than getting at my birds simply because we hardly ever get any in the house (where my birds are) and the ones I see outside are so fast and jump so far that they are actually quite hard to catch.

I guess the chances of your budgies being harmed are sort of dependant on a few things like how big and well fed the spiders are, how many you have near your birds cages and how much space or area your birds have to get away from and stay safe from any spiders you may have living near the cages.

I find when they become too much of a problem or there are too many of them that I can make a heap of our wolf spiders move on- I flood the ground and as they all come out of their little holes then I can catch and move the spiders to the paddock behind our house so they are away from the fish pond.
How in the world do they get to the fish?! :eek:

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
We captured the spider in a soda bottle that we had RIGHT THERE. Kept it in there until we knew for sure what it was, but apparently they don't like code red mountain dew, lol. I did feel bad, but it died while in custody. I will definitely remove any other spiders that are found in our house. Btw, no, we can't really secure her area from any bugs, let alone spiders.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Moutain Dew killed it? :confused: I always knew pop was bad for you. Poor little spidey.
IM SO SORRY,,didnt mean to laugh at that... I watched a wolf spider chase hubby across the yard years ago,,,it was hilarious.. it had its little front arms up,,like, ,Dude,,dont mess with me. Hubbs ran, as I died laughing on the patio.. :rofl:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
IM SO SORRY,,didnt mean to laugh at that... I watched a wolf spider chase hubby across the yard years ago,,,it was hilarious.. it had its little front arms up,,like, ,Dude,,dont mess with me. Hubbs ran, as I died laughing on the patio.. :rofl:

• Haha