• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

With how old bird should I pair my Pyrrhura with?

toki

Sitting on the front steps
I recently bought a Pyrrhura from a petshop. Unfortunately I don't know exactly how old he/she is. But according to the ring number, it's born in 2019.
I'm planning to buy a pair for it once the DNA result becomes ready. I've read in the internet that it's better to pair birds who are close in age. My question is how close is close enough? :) For example can I consider buying a two or three years old?
I'm not necessarily looking for breeding. I'm mostly looking for having a happy pair at home!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I don't think they really need to be that close in age. I think it's more a much older bird may get annoyed by the energy level of a very young bird but I think other than that different ages are fine. Keep in mind though no matter the age, there is no guaranty that 2 birds will bond and may not want to share a cage.

toki

Thank you for the answer!
How can I ensure they will like each other? Is there a way to check this before buying the other one?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Which species are you going to be breeding? There is no way to tell if two birds will get along until they physically meet.

toki

I have a Pyrrhura molinae restricta. I want to pair it with the same species.
Can we say if they like each other when they meet for the first time?

Reactions: Ali

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Unfortunately there is no way to tell in advance. You would be breaking quarantine guidelines for doing an immediate introduction. Sometimes it can takes years before they are ready to accept another.