• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

With all the food drama what do you choose

What pellets do you feed?

• Total voters

Cockatielhour

Meeting neighbors
With the different companies responses to the Birds and Beak rescue deaths and the fb thread with a common line of Zupreem Fruit Blend (which I feed) in the other mentioned bird deaths it has me looking into other food sources then just Zupreem for my pellets. I’m talking only pellets here. I know chop and other foods play into it but I’m primarily looking for info on other pellet sources.

I currently feed Zupreem. I have bags and bags of different variations and don’t give the same thing every day that way the birds have a change and don’t get bored. I loved their avian entree’s line Harvest Blend, Garden Goodness and so did my tiels until the discontinued making them. Basically any and all varieties they sell I have and I change it up daily.

I have had Pretty Bird recommended to me but can’t seem to find any info on line as to their safety practices or if they get surprise or even regular inspections. In fact, their main website is Pretty Bird international, so where is the food made? Are there any other websites out there with more information on this company that I am missing?

I will not feed Kaytee. That’s bottom line.

I have feed Harrisons before.

Roudybush seems to be possible. Are they as good as I commonly hear? Any experiences with this feed?

And lastly has anyone had any contact with these companies? I want to make sure the company I’m giving my money, and trusting my birds life with, cares more about the mouths their putting their product in then the money they get from producing it.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated on this matter. I hope to head to the store later today but wanted some info before I stood in the aisle all day reading each bag, which I freely admit I have done before....

Thanks and have a wonderful start to your weekend!

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I feed Harrison’s and Roudybush. Honestly, whatever pellets your bird will eat is the brand you should get. If they eat Zupreem, there’s no reason that I have seen to warrant changing. That being said, it certainly isn’t a bad idea to have them eating multiple brands in case you ever run out or can’t get any of one. Personally, I’ve found Roudybush to be an easier sell. They eat Harrison’s, but they aren’t super keen on it. I tend to use it for birdy bread instead.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I'm going to be trying roudybush (new and shiny in the UK) Harrison's and tops (I know it's not complete) I do like zupreem but their response regarding the situation at hand wasn't very good IMHO.

Plus I fell like variety is good and my conures aren't fussy and I want to keep them that way.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have used Zupreem in the past but they haven't liked it lately.

I feed a mix of Hagen Tropican, Caitec Oven fresh, Lafeber Daily Maintenance, and Lafeber pellet berries.

Harrison's and Roudybush are both great.

I only don't recommend TOPS and Goldenfeast because they lack Vitamin D3. I also won't feed Kaytee.

With Zupreem, there isn't any testing do far that says it is their food. Zupreem fruity is one of the most widely fed foods as it is the most readily available. The fact that the deaths involve Zupreem is a correlation, but not a causation. It is likely not a relevant correlation to this matter.

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
I feed harrison pellets, with some Top (lots of veggies in it), also feed a organic seedmix and veggies. try to get her to eat more veggies and stop feeding pellets at all, but then i am worried about nutritional diffencies

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feed Caitec Oven Fresh Bites.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I just switched to Harrisons after this whole incident with zupreem, they don't like them as much as zupreem but the first few days they ate every pellet that was offered to them. Now they nibble a few pellet and eat their veggies mostly

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
With the different companies responses to the Birds and Beak rescue deaths and the fb thread with a common line of Zupreem Fruit Blend (which I feed) in the other mentioned bird deaths it has me looking into other food sources then just Zupreem for my pellets. I’m talking only pellets here. I know chop and other foods play into it but I’m primarily looking for info on other pellet sources.

I currently feed Zupreem. I have bags and bags of different variations and don’t give the same thing every day that way the birds have a change and don’t get bored. I loved their avian entree’s line Harvest Blend, Garden Goodness and so did my tiels until the discontinued making them. Basically any and all varieties they sell I have and I change it up daily.

I have had Pretty Bird recommended to me but can’t seem to find any info on line as to their safety practices or if they get surprise or even regular inspections. In fact, their main website is Pretty Bird international, so where is the food made? Are there any other websites out there with more information on this company that I am missing?

I will not feed Kaytee. That’s bottom line.

I have feed Harrisons before.

Roudybush seems to be possible. Are they as good as I commonly hear? Any experiences with this feed?

And lastly has anyone had any contact with these companies? I want to make sure the company I’m giving my money, and trusting my birds life with, cares more about the mouths their putting their product in then the money they get from producing it.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated on this matter. I hope to head to the store later today but wanted some info before I stood in the aisle all day reading each bag, which I freely admit I have done before....

Thanks and have a wonderful start to your weekend!

We've had contact with several of these companies with the rescue and some of the programs out there.

I personally love and feed Roudybush, but I only use the California because the Maintenance seems to be less well received.

A company you do not list that I also am a huge fan of is Caitec (contact them and they will send you a nice box of samples of their baked pellets as well as some of their treats).

Lafaber is fed at the shelter on a regular basis and is a quality pellet. The same amazing ground breaking vet who lead the world into the science of parrot diet is responsible for Lafaber pellets as well as Avicakes and Nutriberries :) Another awesome and very responsive company. You can contact them and get a sample box from them too, cannot recall but something in the back of my memory is saying you pay a minimal amount to cover postage.

Pretty Bird is out of Minnesota if memory serves... we have been using Pretty Bird at the shelter for years. For birds that like the color, they are a great option because their colors are NOT dyes, they are naturally colored based on the veggies / fruits in the pellet. They do the quality testing and need to meet all the same inspections and such of other manufacturers. You can always reach out to them and ask for specifics.

TOPs is another great choice for pellets. I know some people lost trust / confidence in them, they had a bit of a reorganization or such a while back, and their pellets were impossible to find, think they lost quite a bit of standing with that event. We had used them personally for years, but after they went AWOL, we switched over and have not went back. But if you are looking at new options today, consider them.

The other product I suggest everyone look into are a pellet alternative... Green Chunks by Phoenix Foraging (only available thru their website). A non pellet formula that I use and my macaw absolutely is nuts over, but not a cheap source for a regular diet. But if price is not a major factor, put them on your list to research :)

When it comes down to it... there are many many opinions about pellets, and while there are obviously bad choices (like Kaytee), most of the major brands are not 'bad'... I'm not a fan of Zupreem, never got past the amount of sugar they put into their pellets, but that does not make them 'bad', just not a choice for me. But, in all honesty, try a pellet you feel comfortable with and the 'best' pellet is usually the pellet your bird will eat!

I don't mention Harrison, tho a very very respected pellet, I've never had any luck getting my birds to eat it, so if you're bird will eat it, again, it could be the right pellet for you :)

Not sure if this really helped any, just thought I'd share!

Cockatielhour

Meeting neighbors
@Jenphilly thank you for all the information! I will be sure to check a bunch of these out! My tiels will be better for it.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I feed Roudybush and Higgins intune.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I just switched to Harrisons after this whole incident with zupreem, they don't like them as much as zupreem but the first few days they ate every pellet that was offered to them. Now they nibble a few pellet and eat their veggies mostly
I had a similar experience with my lovebird and Harrisons. The first day I fed it he ate every bit. Needless to say I was thrilled! After the first day he barely ate any, then wouldn't eat them at all. :what:

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I feed Roudybush Crumble. It's easy to mix into chop and they don't know they're eating it. I also put it in their break mix so they eat it that way too. I only have two birds who will eat the crumble straight, Delphine as that's all they gave her until we got her, no veggies, fruit etc. Just crumble and she was fed by her parents until I got her at five months and she hadn't been weaned yet. Charlie my caique who was on Zupreem, got changed immediately to Roudybush.

Now with all this food scare, I'm thinking of changing to Harrisons. I just purchased a 35lb bag of Roudybush (I've frozen most of it) and when I'm low (about half way through the bag), I'll get Harrisons, which is easy for me since our vet is just down the street.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I feed Roudybush Crumble. It's easy to mix into chop and they don't know they're eating it. I also put it in their break mix so they eat it that way too. I only have two birds who will eat the crumble straight, Delphine as that's all they gave her until we got her, no veggies, fruit etc. Just crumble and she was fed by her parents until I got her at five months and she hadn't been weaned yet. Charlie my caique who was on Zupreem, got changed immediately to Roudybush.

Now with all this food scare, I'm thinking of changing to Harrisons. I just purchased a 35lb bag of Roudybush (I've frozen most of it) and when I'm low (about half way through the bag), I'll get Harrisons, which is easy for me since our vet is just down the street.
The recent scare had nothing to do with Roudybush?

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
I believe all foods can be a risk. Lettuce recall, bacterial growth on sprouted seeds, processed food with vitamin overload.....
all foods can be contaminated with all kinds of stuff.poison, bacterial, fungus etc.
We and our birds still have to eat.

I am thinking about feedung a diet without processed food.but it is hard to cover all nutritional needs when feeding like that.that's also a risk for disease or death.

I think we shouldn't be pannicking about it and feed what you think is best and what your birds will eat. Life is a risk you know....