• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

winnie and marnie

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain: to the Avenue! What a gorgeous pair you have :xflove:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome OWA mom :heart: :heart: .... Your baby is beautiful!

winniezon

Jogging around the block
:welcometrain: to the Avenue! What a gorgeous pair you have :xflove:
thanks @AussieBird , but i've actually been a member here before, email i used before was deleted so i had to make a new account.
Wasn't previously a good parrot owner, as a lot of people who knew me on my other account know. but a lot has changed, and i think i'm doing an ok job now :)
They are very beautiful indeed! Winnie is the older of the two, but only a year old. And Marnie is still a baby at 4 months.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Welcome :heart:

winniezon

Jogging around the block
Nice to have another Indian :heart:. And you must teach me how to give free flying training.
haha i'm actually from the uk just lived here half my life , though that probably makes me somewhat indian :laughing2:
i couldn't deal with having that much responsibly lol, i had to get a mentor myself so i knew what i was doing! It's all quite different when you are dealing with previously clipped birds or older ones (i think your girl (girl right??) was previously clipped right, or maybe from a bad situation if i recall correctly :hmmm:), i wouldn't know where to start if i was to teach you!
maybe you can come visit us and see winnie free fly!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My inca is a boy and he is not clipped. He's a good flyer, but also a perch potato :lol: . I would love to call you or meet you. Maybe we can arrange a date between Inca and Winnie:heart:. From where did you get your mentor?

winniezon

Jogging around the block
My inca is a boy and he is not clipped. He's a good flyer, but also a perch potato :lol: . I would love to call you or meet you. Maybe we can arrange a date between Inca and Winnie:heart:. From where did you get your mentor?
oh sorry! don;t know how i got that idea in my head o_O
That would be cool! Coming to delhi anytime soon? I'm not planning to go to kolkata for a bit.
my mentor is an online one from the US , ideally an in person mentor is best, but there's no such thing in india annoyingly. phelan velval from Parrot volancy is my mentor. she is amazing and knows so much about free flying. I'm her first mentee ff an amazon with her help i think.
Its all pretty hard work getting them flying safely out there, you have to be very dedicated , but if you think you can do it and have all the knowledge necessary, then its the greatest amount of freedom you can give a pet parrot.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
They’re gorgeous! What kind of camera do you use? These photos are amazing

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
oh sorry! don;t know how i got that idea in my head o_O
That would be cool! Coming to delhi anytime soon? I'm not planning to go to kolkata for a bit.
my mentor is an online one from the US , ideally an in person mentor is best, but there's no such thing in india annoyingly. phelan velval from Parrot volancy is my mentor. she is amazing and knows so much about free flying. I'm her first mentee ff an amazon with her help i think.
Its all pretty hard work getting them flying safely out there, you have to be very dedicated , but if you think you can do it and have all the knowledge necessary, then its the greatest amount of freedom you can give a pet parrot.
How many months did it take? (Just for an idea, you know). I have heard about a person in Mumbai, who is a bird trainer. He's ready to train, but that means sending Inca for a course with hostel-stay. I don't think I can bear that. :(

winniezon

Jogging around the block
How many months did it take? (Just for an idea, you know). I have heard about a person in Mumbai, who is a bird trainer. He's ready to train, but that means sending Inca for a course with hostel-stay. I don't think I can bear that. :(
It took nine months. I could have gotten her free flying much sooner but it took a while for me to solve certain problems I had with going about training. She started training at four months old, since she was so young I could have gotten her trained most likely in a month or two, but I wasn’t ready for it myself.
Make sure any trainer you are getting help from is an actual free flight trainer. Who has experience or knowledge with that species. I honestly doubt the trainer in Mumbai is going to be as helpful as a very experienced online trainer.
there are so so many risks involved and you can’t just apply one method for every bird, each species and individual bird is different and needs different training so a mentor is a must.
It’s something you give up weekends for, spend hours waiting for them to come down from trees, maybe going back at dawn the next day, spending weeks or months training, and it causes a great amount of stress! And once the bird experiences it, you can’t really just stop. Not something the average person can do, don’t want to put you off it, jsut making sure you’re aware of the risks and how big of a commitment it is! It changes both the Birds and the humans life.

Last edited:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It took nine months. I could have gotten her free flying much sooner but it took a while for me to solve certain problems I had with going about training. She started training at four months old, since she was so young I could have gotten her trained most likely in a month or two, but I wasn’t ready for it myself.
Make sure any trainer you are getting help from is an actual free flight trainer. Who has experience or knowledge with that species. I honestly doubt the trainer in Mumbai is going to be as helpful as a very experienced online trainer.
there are so so many risks involved and you can’t just apply one method for every bird, each species and individual bird is different and needs different training so a mentor is a must.
It’s something you give up weekends for, spend hours waiting for them to come down from trees, maybe going back at dawn the next day, spending weeks or months training, and it causes a great amount of stress! And once the bird experiences it, you can’t really just stop. Not something the average person can do, don’t want to put you off it, jsut making sure you’re aware of the risks and how big of a commitment it is! It changes both the Birds and the humans life.
Totally agree with you, but it's worth it. Kudos to you for achieving it. I'm really thinking over it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The whole point to the intense training is so that the bird does not refuse to come back to you and choose to sit in a tree, should be pretty much 100% of the time that the bird comes when asked to.
I would think much more training is needed before free flying should be attempted if this is a normal thing you expect to happen- recall definitely needs to be predictable for free flight to be safe for your bird. Once in a blue moon the choice to stay away from you may unfortunately happen but it should not be something you ever expect and certainly not something that is common enough that you plan for it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
thanks @AussieBird , but i've actually been a member here before, email i used before was deleted so i had to make a new account.
Wasn't previously a good parrot owner, as a lot of people who knew me on my other account know. but a lot has changed, and i think i'm doing an ok job now :)
They are very beautiful indeed! Winnie is the older of the two, but only a year old. And Marnie is still a baby at 4 months.
What was your previous username? Your accounts can be merged :)

winniezon

Jogging around the block
The whole point to the intense training is so that the bird does not refuse to come back to you and choose to sit in a tree, should be pretty much 100% of the time that the bird comes when asked to.
I would think much more training is needed before free flying should be attempted if this is a normal thing you expect to happen- recall definitely needs to be predictable for free flight to be safe for your bird. Once in a blue moon the choice to stay away from you may unfortunately happen but it should not be something you ever expect and certainly not something that is common enough that you plan for it.
thats not the whole point. this is a normal thing to happen with beginners. yes most people don't
I'm sorry but i have to disagree. thats not the whole point of free flight.
First of all, this was only her second free flight, i do think i need to work on certain things with winnie to avoid those long tree sits, which by the way MANY parrots do when they are inexperienced , but i don't expect her to come every single time i call her, especially not at the start when she is new to the overwhelming amount of freedom she's getting.

My mentor would have seen and said something, if she thought winnie's skills needed that much work. after 8 months of training you'd think i'd know her skill level to a certain extent. her recall was on point when training in the aviary, EVERY single time she came when called, and the few she did outside were great too. you can only prepare a parrot for free flight to a certain extent in an aviary, and i know there is not much i can do to improve her skills there. As my friend said, they have to learn how to do a lot of things for the first time when flying outside unrestrained, and i know that the exciting tree she can play in will soon become not nearly as interesting and she'll be quicker to come down to me.

There are endless possibilities to why she didn't come down for many hours. maybe she knew there was a kite in its nest nearby , maybe she was too tired at first to come down, maybe the heat had made her settle down and roost for a bit, maybe i did call too much and she figured she could stay there as long as she could see me. but you can't blame the fact that she didn't immediately recall to me on a lack of skill, especially when you didn't know all the details.

It may be easier for people to completely ban their birds from landing in trees , but i won't do that, i look at free flight as a way for pet birds to have as natural a life as possible, and a way to give your bird some freedom. She ENJOYED being in that tree, she played in it for hours, something she has never seen or been in her whole life suddenly became accessible to her , of course she take advantage of that and i do think the fact that she's an amazon, a tree loving ,stubborn species played a role in her disinterest in coming down.

i'm not looking to start a whole debate, its just a shame that you jumped to conclusions. free flight is done in different ways, taught in different ways and the reason for doing it varies among the owners, not everyone has to do it one way, there is no 'right way'.

my previous account was @ume, and in the past on this site i have been judged tremendously for my bird care, and honestly i deserved it, i absolutely hate how i cared for my parrots, i was so immature and had no knowledge. It has been almost three years since and i have grown up a hell of a lot, become so much more responsible, so much happier and these two birds are my whole life, i was hoping, not too redeem myself, because i can never do that, but that i could come back one last time to show my improvement in my avian care. Please do not say that my age plays a role in this tree sit or that i'm young and stupid not knowing the risks and correct knowledge on free flight. I haven't been as dedicated to anything as much as Winnie and Marnie and free flight in my life. I wish you had not undermined my knowledge and immediately thought you know more about free flight than i do, maybe you do, who knows, but at the moment i am the one with a free flying amazon, who at the end of the day, came down from a great height, did not spook at anything while in the tree, did an amazing flight , flocked with a wild bird and didn't just fly straight off into the distance. What more could i have asked for? Yes it would have been nice not to sit out there for 8 hours while she has a ball in the tree, but i'd do it all again, she has the skills to keep safe, the right location to be as safe, a transmitter, and everytime we go out there for a fly it just means shes getting more experience and the time spent in a tree will get shorter and shorter.

agree or disagree with what i say, but at least now you know more of the story.

Last edited by a moderator:

winniezon

Jogging around the block
thats not the whole point. this is a normal thing to happen with beginners. yes most people don't

I'm sorry but i have to disagree. thats not the whole point of free flight.
First of all, this was only her second free flight, i do think i need to work on certain things with winnie to avoid those long tree sits, which by the way MANY parrots do when they are inexperienced , but i don't expect her to come every single time i call her, especially not at the start when she is new to the overwhelming amount of freedom she's getting.

My mentor would have seen and said something, if she thought winnie's skills needed that much work. after 8 months of training you'd think i'd know her skill level to a certain extent. her recall was on point when training in the aviary, EVERY single time she came when called, and the few she did outside were great too. you can only prepare a parrot for free flight to a certain extent in an aviary, and i know there is not much i can do to improve her skills there. As my friend said, they have to learn how to do a lot of things for the first time when flying outside unrestrained, and i know that the exciting tree she can play in will soon become not nearly as interesting and she'll be quicker to come down to me.

There are endless possibilities to why she didn't come down for many hours. maybe she knew there was a kite in its nest nearby , maybe she was too tired at first to come down, maybe the heat had made her settle down and roost for a bit, maybe i did call too much and she figured she could stay there as long as she could see me. but you can't blame the fact that she didn't immediately recall to me on a lack of skill, especially when you didn't know all the details.

It may be easier for people to completely ban their birds from landing in trees , but i won't do that, i look at free flight as a way for pet birds to have as natural a life as possible, and a way to give your bird some freedom. She ENJOYED being in that tree, she played in it for hours, something she has never seen or been in her whole life suddenly became accessible to her , of course she take advantage of that and i do think the fact that she's an amazon, a tree loving ,stubborn species played a role in her disinterest in coming down.

i'm not looking to start a whole debate, its just a shame that you jumped to conclusions. free flight is done in different ways, taught in different ways and the reason for doing it varies among the owners, not everyone has to do it one way, there is no 'right way'.

my previous account was @ume, and in the past on this site i have been judged tremendously for my bird care, and honestly i deserved it, i absolutely hate how i cared for my parrots, i was so immature and had no knowledge. It has been almost three years since and i have grown up a hell of a lot, become so much more responsible, so much happier and these two birds are my whole life, i was hoping, not too redeem myself, because i can never do that, but that i could come back one last time to show my improvement in my avian care. Please do not say that my age plays a role in this tree sit or that i'm young and stupid not knowing the risks and correct knowledge on free flight. I haven't been as dedicated to anything as much as Winnie and Marnie and free flight in my life. I wish you had not undermined my knowledge and immediately thought you know more about free flight than i do, maybe you do, who knows, but at the moment i am the one with a free flying amazon, who at the end of the day, came down from a great height, did not spook at anything while in the tree, did an amazing flight , flocked with a wild bird and didn't just fly straight off into the distance. What more could i have asked for? Yes it would have been nice not to sit out there for 8 hours while she has a ball in the tree, but i'd do it all again, she has the skills to keep safe, the right location to be as safe, a transmitter, and everytime we go out there for a fly it just means shes getting more experience and the time spent in a tree will get shorter and shorter.

agree or disagree with what i say, but at least now you know more of the story.
@Shezbug