• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quakergirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stephanie
How long does it take for a Quaker's wing feathers to grow back after they are cut? My Quaker, Bella, had only one wing trimmed back when I got her... and then both wings were trimmed a couple months later so that they were even. Now, I have noticed that there is a stray feather or two that has grown back but I am wondering when the rest will finally come in!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
it depend on the cut most birds have their feathers grow back in about 6 months but a very severe cut it could take up to two years it takes up to two years to replace all the primaries :hug8:

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
About six months. But may take longer to learn they are even back or to fly. I have let Topaz's wings grow back twice. First time she turned into a brat and I had to clip to get her to calm down.
This time she figured them out soon and is staying sweet so for now she still can fly.
Good luck

tarad

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracey
:omg: Two years! The Quaker I got in November had her feathers cut off so drastically. The flight feathers and then half way up the wings. It looks terrible. She crashes to the floor. Poor baby. I asked the previous owner why she cut them and she said so the bird couldn't get out the door. It looks like they were cut in a fit of rage. They aren't growing at all. I was hoping for six months. Oh well!:(

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
They will molt out in different stages...it could take up to a year or longer for all of them to be replaced.:hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
:huh:Factors include good nutrition, humidity and temperature, but parrots, of necessity, don't molt out all their flight feathers at one time as do some other birds (sea birds often do). As the feathers are replaced, the bird will notice and when they reach 'critical number' the bird will be able to first glide, then fly limited amounts, then soar. Just keep them safe in regard to heights until the feathers start growing back. Good news is that spring is around the corner and the next molt is almost here.;)

quakergirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stephanie
It has only been about three months since her flight feathers were cut. Only the first seven were done. I noticed on her right wing that a random one has grown back to full length but none of the other ones are coming in yet. She just did a molt right around when she turned six months (pin feathers were plentiful) so I am not expecting the other ones to grow back too quickly. she is able to glide a little bit when she leaves her cage so at least her landing to the floor is a soft one!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I think you will be surprised how much growth you will see over the summer. Birds' bodies really take advantage of the summer. Wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.