• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wings High Tikki Bird

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I started this post last night but had to stop because I was so upset.

I'm asking for all the prayers and good thoughts for Tikki bird who is presently in ICU at the University of Central Florida's Small Animal Hospital ER in Gainesville. Lungs appear to have fluid and there appear to be problems with several organs; their labs were closed for the day so he's staying for a couple of days - having blood drawn first thing tomorrow a.m. It took me most of the day to find an avian practice which could see him - the first didn't see birds, and the next 4 (Ravenwood Vet Clinic, Granada Vet Clinic, Florida Wild Vet Clinic and Exotic Bird Clinic) were booked solid and weren't taking taking emergencies. The last one suggested the UCF (University of Central Florida) Small Animal Hospital in Gainsville which, fortunately, has a 24/7 ER. The staff there was very efficient, friendly and also very sympathetic.

They took Tikki in and put him on oxygen and in an incubator but Dr. Horgan did tell us his lungs were very noisy, his heartbeat was irregular and they believed he might have issues with his kidneys and/or liver. I knew things were really bad when the vet asked us very delicately about CPR or DNR. Tik was to have had blood drawn this morning as their abs had closed for the day.

Tikki passed away this morning after having made it through the night. He will be necropsied for the safety of my other birds and cremated privately. He was approximately 15 or 16 and I adopted him from a pet store in Indiana in 2012 with the help of @zoo mom and @Merlie. He was definitely my bird and Fred's. I feel as if I've let him down by leaving him with strangers, in a place he didn't know when he felt his sickest. My heart is breaking. Wings high, my Tik bird.
I am so sorry for your loss. You did what you could for him but it was his time. He knew that you loved him.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:sadhug2:I am so sorry for your loss.:sorrow:

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
I am so sorry for your loss of Tiki. :sadhug:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I keep listening for his call, looking and waiting for him to fly to me and land on my shoulder. The house is deafeningly quiet in spite of all the other birds in the house. My Quaker boys and the gccs know that Tikki isn't here and they were flying to me last night as if to console me. Quaker Baby landed on me several times last night and I went to pet him the way I would Tikki and realized it wasn't Tik (Baby doesn't always like being petted and nibbles if one tries). The silence is the worst part. This Christmas is going to be really rough for me.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I keep listening for his call, looking and waiting for him to fly to me and land on my shoulder. The house is deafeningly quiet in spite of all the other birds in the house. My Quaker boys and the gccs know that Tikki isn't here and they were flying to me last night as if to console me. Quaker Baby landed on me several times last night and I went to pet him the way I would Tikki and realized it wasn't Tik (Baby doesn't always like being petted and nibbles if one tries). The silence is the worst part. This Christmas is going to be really rough for me.
:sadhug: :hug4: sending you all the hugs,it's never a good time to lose a beloved baby but it's especially hard around the holidays.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oh Sandra I'm so sorry for your loss of Tikki. I know that silence and it's too much and harsh. Sending Bebe and my love from Minnesota.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I know about the silence and think he'd just pop right to you :sadhug: I'm sorry you guys lost your special guy.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Deepest condolences, Sandra. It's normal for your body to keep looking and reaching in those familiar ways...it has lots of muscle memory. Hopefully the other birds will have some patience and not nip.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Much love and many blessings for you and yours as you all grieve Tikki Bird. :sad13:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just saw this post.

It's been a while since MC passed away but I still miss him. We don't know the future. I didn't know that I'd still lose him to cancer after taking him back and forth to the University of Illinois for surgeries, treatments, and the radiation.

All we can EVER do for them is love them and make the best decision we can at the time by using the information that was available to us.

That was what you did. All of it.

I'll grieve with you for your loss of your buddy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m truly sorry for your loss Sandra. Sending warm hugs your way. I´ll be around here on Christmas day if you want some one to talk to ❤

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I am so sorry you lost Tikki's physical presence... he will always be there for you in your memory... in the feathers he left behind... in the silence he knows breaks your heart... Close your eyes, and envelope his memory-- that, you will always have!:bluhug:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh no…I am so sorry

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How heartbreaking! :sadhug: You did do the right thing, even if it doesn't feel like it. There's no way you would not have taken him to the vet; he was too loved to do that.

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry for the loss and for what your going through right now. From reading your posts through the years, you haven been giving your all to your birds but to others as well. I hate the when people say "at least their in peace now" but I really think it applies here and you should be in peace now too, you had given him your all.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2: :sorrow:

You gave him a great life & loved him with all your heart,,,No one could ask for more,,,