• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wings clipping

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am personally against clipping because:
it negatively impacts their psyche to have their natural ability to fly removed;
it causes chest muscle atrophy over time, which will negatively impact their overall health.

I have 13 birds, all flighted. None of my birds have plucked and each have grown into confident and happy birds. When you clip your bird and they attempt to fly and fall to the ground, their personalities begin to change. They can't get away from things that put them into alert mode and they must depend on you to move them from point A to point B. To sit on a tree stand 24/7 is difficult for them. They become bored and oftentimes grumpy towards those around them.

I hope you will reconsider and make the necessary changes in order to allow him to remain free flighted. Even using a portable fan is something you could consider.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I

I wont even consider trimming for atleast a month.
are you sure that they can understand that ceiling fans can be dangerous for them? If yes then i wont clip. Only reason i am clipping is his own safety.
I completely understand.
Yes, you can show them a window/mirror and how they cannot pass through.
A fan being dangerous can also be learned by the bird but it obviously isn't safe to demonstrate like we can with a window or mirror.
With that being the case, being diligent about when the fan is on and off is our responsibility as the owner.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I wont even consider trimming for at least a month.
are you sure that they can understand that ceiling fans can be dangerous for them?
NO! You can not count on this. I've seen wings that ended being amputated from ceiling fans.
Even birds that know about windows, have been killed when they startled and accidently hit one.
Fans OFF! anytime bird is out.
Covers like suggested are really the only way to insure safety.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing i can add to whats been said except there is nothing i like more than watching my bird flying around the house.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, for the record if misunderstood, despite them having the cognitive capacity to learn about dangers in the environment, I'm not at all suggesting that you ever have the fan on with a bird present and or try to demonstrate how it is dangerous.
Sorry if what I typed above came out that way.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
I personally am against clipping birds wings. I remember when Oscar was a baby he would try SO hard to fly, and he couldn't because his flight feathers weren't fully grown. My baby loves to fly and I love seeing him be happy. If you get a bird you must learn to center your life around your feathered friend. I had to do this and make adjustments like room re-arrangements not using certain things like paints with fumes and trying to do the best I could for my bird to make his life better before I brought him home. Clipping a bird's wings is like taking their freedom and instinct away. Flying is part of what makes birds so special :)