• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wings clipping

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
When should i clip my 13 weeks old GW’s wings? He just started flying i know they should be allowed to fly before you clip wings. We ceiling fans all around the house so cant let him free fly. When will be the right time?

Attachments

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Better to enclose the ceiling fan. You'll still have the benefits of the fans and your bird will enjoy the mental and physical benefits of flight.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Please rethink the clipping of your baby's wings. The first year of life he will be learning so much and a lot of the neuropathways in his brain will be forming and it has so much to do with learning to fly. Everything about a bird is designed around flying and he will be so much healthier if you let him fly. Can you get box fans and use them while he is out rather than the ceiling fans?

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
When should i clip my 13 weeks old GW’s wings? He just started flying i know they should be allowed to fly before you clip wings. We ceiling fans all around the house so cant let him free fly. When will be the right time?
If you are willing, please just be responsible about the ceiling fans and allow the bird to develop properly.
They can actually learn about them as well as mirrors and windows as you work with them plus, flight keeps them safer/allows them to avoid such dangers.
When clipped, they can absolutely still fly but have little to no control and so it's much more dangerous.

Sure it may be inconvenient but it's a small price to pay compared to them for living with us let alone being clipped.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Please reconsider clipping. If you can't prepare for a flying animal, don't get a flying animal. He was born to fly, it's part of them. it's like tying a toddler's shoelaces together, sure he can walk, but not run.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have own feelings on clipping which there is no need to repeat as enough people have mentioned them here!

But as @MR. Mango and @tka have said, you will need to enclose the ceiling fan regardless. Unless you opt for a brutal clip which would render him completely flightless (and miserable), a clipped bird could still be fatally injured by a ceiling fan.

Edit: also got to add, that pic is wonderful! Such a beautiful set of wings! :heart2:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Running ceiling fans and having a free-flying bird is a deadly combination. Even a fan that's turned off can be dangerous depending on the bird.

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
I
If you are willing, please just be responsible about the ceiling fans and allow the bird to develop properly.
They can actually learn about them as well as mirrors and windows as you work with them plus, flight keeps them safer/allows them to avoid such dangers.
When clipped, they can absolutely still fly but have little to no control and so it's much more dangerous.

Sure it may be inconvenient but it's a small price to pay compared to them for living with us let alone being clipped.
I wont even consider trimming for atleast a month.
are you sure that they can understand that ceiling fans can be dangerous for them? If yes then i wont clip. Only reason i am clipping is his own safety.

maounm

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aoun mahmood
Please rethink the clipping of your baby's wings. The first year of life he will be learning so much and a lot of the neuropathways in his brain will be forming and it has so much to do with learning to fly. Everything about a bird is designed around flying and he will be so much healthier if you let him fly. Can you get box fans and use them while he is out rather than the ceiling fans?
I wont be clipping his wings for next few months i know flying is very important. He has such a big wingspan and beautiful feathers who would want to clip such a beauty. But i dont have anyother option i reserved the 2nd floor for my birds but now my son is 4 months old and we are converting that place into a nursery.
i want to keep him with us in our sitting area all the time if he keeps flying around everyone will be scared.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
i want to keep him with us in our sitting area all the time if he keeps flying around everyone will be scared.
That's a problem to solve by talking to the humans and explaining why it's so important for him to be able to fly, desensitising yourselves to a large bird flying around, and having safe places for him to hang out and play. You will probably need a very large cage or indoor aviary so that he and your baby can be kept away from each other. When it's safe to have guests over, make sure that your bird is either not in the room or kept in a cage/indoor aviary again for the safety of both bird and people.

You decided to bring a large macaw into your home. The onus is on you to adapt your environment to the bird, not rob him of flight because it makes things easier for you. It can be difficult to adapt our lives and living spaces to a flying bird but there is lots of support and guidance on these forums to help you. Flight is so very important to a parrot's physical and mental health - as @jmfleish says, everything about a bird's physiology is adapted for flight. Their cardiovascular and respiratory systems in particular really suffer if a bird is not allow to fly. Flying allows captive birds a tiny bit of independence and choice: it's not nearly as much as they'd have in the wild, but they do appreciate it. Clipping a bird can lead to behavioural problems, especially anxiety and plucking behaviours.

Obviously Leia is much much smaller than a macaw, but I love that she can choose where she wants to be in the home. If she's hungry, she will fly to her food bowls to eat. If she's thirsty, she'll fly to her water bowl to drink. She can choose which room she wants to be in. She can choose where in the room she wants to hang out and she has different places: up high on top of bookcases, on a stand, on top of her cage and so on. She follows me around the flat. Through flight, she is able to choose to be with me over and over again. It is hard at times but her joy in flight has given me so much joy in turn.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
She follows me around the flat. Through flight, she is able to choose to be with me over and over again. It is hard at times but her joy in flight has given me so much joy in turn.
So much this. And greeting you when you come home. Gus waits for me to come home and lands on my head the moment I walk in the door.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
This is awesome but unfortunately does not deliver in my country.
You can build a screen frame around the fan enclosing it. Easy.