• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wings clipped too short or doesn't know how to fly?

ScarredAngel6

Moving in
Real Name
Samantha
The place I got my 5 month old Jenday from clipped her wings. I didn't think much of it because a lot of places clip their birds wings so they don't fly out the door or get into any other accidents. So she's been trying to fly around here but she doesn't "glide" like birds are supposed to with clipped wings, she just falls like a rock. I'm worried if her wings are either clipped too short or if she never learned how to fly... what can I do to keep her from hurting herself until her wings grow back? They look super short so I don't know how long it'll take for them to grow...
Here's a pic. She won't stay still but her wings basically look like ovals...

Attachments

D

Deleted member 29421

I would think she will have to go through a molt to get her new flight feathers grown in properly. When I got a budgie from a store it came with clipped wings too. I got her in July and by mid mid October she had gone through a molt, grew in new feathers and was flying perfect. You could set up a play room for her with perches kept low so that if she falls, she wont fall far enough to hurt herself. Or if thats not possible, just play with her on the floor. My birds love me to shred a huge pile of newspaper so they can run through it and play in it. They love to hide in it and pop their heads up like a jack in the box LOL.... If you think about how wild fledglings are, the parents usually keep them low and close to hedges and shrubbery to they can learn to flutter from perch to perch and hop back down to the ground without getting hurt.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Rainbow came to me like that with almost all outer primaries cut off, and she too dropped like a rock off the table. Its been a few months and after a few feathers growing in she can flutter a little, but still no proper upwards flight. Just have to wait for your Jenday to grow back some feathers and take it from there. In the meanwhile, do what you can to minimize falling or cushion the floor. Also keep a very close eye on possible injuries as feathers can obscure those spots [eg. keel bone injury over time]

Wing Clipping & Trimming » Currumbin Valley Birds & Exotic Vetrenarian - Gold Coast

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Regardless of how little or much he was cut, he will need to wait to molt out the feathers. For my baby birds, they couldn't fly until about 18 months. Its definitely at least 6 months.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Poor baby. :( Any clip is too much, imho. Unfortunately, it often takes months for them to grow back, and there isn't much you can do outside of the cage. Inside, you can give him platforms and put something soft under his paper.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Just wanted to say I hope he will be performing aero-acrobatic stunts before it's over! :sadhug2:Poor baby.