• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

wing flipping

pubbykid

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
vincent
I recently had my Eclectus boarded when I went out of town so I had no control over her diet for a week. Tonight while watching her I noticed she was wing flipping, I have not noticed any toe-tapping but I would like to address the issue as soon as I can. She has two cuddle bones as well as a calcium supplement I already put on her food. She gets chop with fruits and vegetables varying each week, some lentils, and a small quantity of TOPS bird bread in the morning with TOPS pellets at night. What foods should I steer clear from until I notice the wing flipping get better ? She doesn't seem particularly bothered and I have only noticed the problem today luckily. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
:bump8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like a little regression. I'd suggest soft foods for a few days.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Similar to us when we've had too much of something, keep it bland and simple. Unless you have an acute reason for the calcium supplement or a vet's insistence I would stop that. The cuttle bone won't be much use in terms of soluble calcium, but it does add a nice beak cleaning surface and enrichment if s/he interacts with it. Reduce the protein a bit, maybe add some cooked winter squash and sweet potato, keep the fresh veggies, add dark greens if you're wanting some easy to use calcium (collards are good, a little spinach is okay) and watch for relief of symptoms. Extra preening, itchy, antsy, irritable... I definitely would insist on a specific diet while you're away. It's nonsense to provide boarding and no attention to diet!

I see the she/her now. Very tired... If the calcium is for a particularly tough hormonal season (we've been through a relentless one recently) it's fine to back off the calcium if she's not actively laying eggs. It's more difficult to discern irritability when there are hormones involved, but go with your gut about her behaviors. You know your bird best.

Last edited: