• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing flipping

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Does anyone have any experience? Mel has been doing it since I met her. She does eat Zupreem Natural pellets and I'm working on weaning her off of them not just stopping her cold turkey. Is it the pellets or is it something else?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
It can be a multitude of things- but for ekkies, it is most often than not: dietary based behavioral issue. Unlike other parrot: That old 'normal diet' of pellets leads to feather plucking, self mutilation and often liver disorders. Ill let others chime in, as you have heard my schlemiel before ;)

Edit: I know you are new to the world of larger birds. You are a sweet young girl who is anaylizing all the aspects of her new birds behaviour. Wing flipping is a very specific thing, and because you already have a heavy mutilator is a good thing to ask about- but make sure it is actual wing flipping and not just your bird being a bird' ;)

Last edited:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
It can be a multitude of things- but for ekkies, it is most often than not: dietary based behavioral issue. Unlike other parrot: That old 'normal diet' of pellets leads to feather plucking, self mutilation and often liver disorders. Ill let others chime in, as you have heard my schlemiel before ;)
Do you have any recommendations for getting her off pellets? I'm trying to just give her less every day so far. She won't eat her chop unless I give her pellets right before.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I think most birds are similar- it has to be gradual. But in ekkies- it can be harder- they are stubborn, extremely hormonal, and down right fierce little buggars!

I make my chop as such: I chop each ingredients individually, then freeze them on a sheet pan. It looks like this. That way I can store it in bags. When feeding, I mix in the pellets, etc. After awhile- they dont know the difference... honestly.
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 12.14.23 PM.png