• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Wing feathers okay?

Avhallen

Moving in
Real Name
Lace
So I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I really don't know if this is something terrible that needs an emergency vet appointment or if I can wait a bit for his routine checkup. Figured I could at least ask?

Anyway, recently (last couple of weeks) Sweetpea (gcc) has had a weird patch of discolored/frayed feathers on his left wing. 20200225_111906.jpg
He eats a pellet diet, veggies daily (usually carrots or broccoli, with occasional spinach or cauliflower), has his cage cleaned weekly, has small toys, various sized perches, a swing, and a hidey hole in his large home cage, and spends most of the day out of his cage either playing with me directly or playing on his large play structure with a lot of toys attached. I will sometimes give him some seeds or bird cookies as treats, but overall I really can't see a reason other than some kind of illness for this to be happening. His droppings seem totally normal. I'm still pretty new to this, so if this is normal please let me know.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not know if that is normal when is your next vet appointment

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Has he been playing roughly, or is something rubbing him on that side? It almost looks like my birds do if I spray them to vigorously in the shower, but that usually goes away in a day or two.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I would err on the side of caution and schedule an appointment. Those feathers look like they have some damage done to them (has your bird been messing with that spot any?). I would definitely run baseline tests to make sure internally that things are working as they should be.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes either the feathers are being damaged by something in the cage (like rubbing up against a toy or spot on the cage) or he is damaging them with his beak. Both can have underlying medical reasons - or be totally unrelated to medical issues.

You said you have a hidey hole - can you elaborate on that? And how big it is? My green cheek used to have a happy hut and would damage the heck out of her wing feathers because she was rubbing up against the sides.

Avhallen

Moving in
Real Name
Lace
20200226_111207.jpg

The coconut is the hidey hole. Theres a small piece of soft cloth glued to the bottom inside. I never see him messing with that spot on his wing, nor have I noticed him rubbing against anything with his wings. The only time he rubs against something is with his head when he has itches. His next regular appointment wouldn't be for about a month and a half.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does he go inside the coconut? The holes are small enough that it looks like it weLould brush his wings at that spot.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Does he go inside the coconut? The holes are small enough that it looks like it weLould brush his wings at that spot.
I thought that, too, but you think there'd be damage on both wings?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not if he gets one wing through the hole first which is how my budgie seems to enter and exit his coconut. Not completely front on if you know what I mean.
Can you watch how your bird enters and exits the coconut..... which foot goes in first?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Keep us posted! I'm interested in hearing what the vet tells you.

Avhallen

Moving in
Real Name
Lace
Sorry for the delay, been a heck of a week. The vet thinks it's probably just from rubbing against something. She suggested some possible changes and said that if it doesn't improve over a few weeks, then to bring him back for a fecal sample test to see if he has any parasites.

Other than that, he is a very healthy birdy. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the update. I’m glad the vet doesn’t think it is anything serious. It does look like the feathers are worn away to me.