• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing clipping

Fate

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Bill
Fate had just molted her already clippped wing feathers. How long should I wait before getting her wings clipped again if I should at all. Any response will be welcomed as I am fairly new at being an avian owner.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Bill :)

You will find that once a bird can fly, they are much happier and independant. Have a read of these articles: Should I clip my birds wings?
They are a very good read, definitely worth taking the time to have a look.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Fate had just molted her already clippped wing feathers. How long should I wait before getting her wings clipped again if I should at all. Any response will be welcomed as I am fairly new at being an avian owner.
Like the others said, just don't do it. Unless your bird had health problems like blindness I would stay away from clipping. When I had budgies I fell into the trap of clipping their wings and found that they were very unhappy. However after educating myself further I never clipped them again and my current lovebird has never been clipped. you can really see the difference in clipped and unclipped birds. There are a lot more benefits to flighted parrots than clipped

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hi @Fate I also agree with the others that you should let your bird grow its wings and keep them how they are meant to be. You will see a much happier, more confident and healthy bird if it has its wings and ability to fly :)

Fate

Real Name
Bill
Thanks for all the feedback I was wondering if I should and probably won’t. Doubt she’ll fly away seeing how bonded she is to me. Thanks again I am new to this

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Doubt she’ll fly away
Any bird should be in a harness or a travel cage when outdoors regardless of clipped or not clipped. The exceptions are birds that physically cannot fly due to prev. injuries, severe pluckers and amputees.

Fate

Real Name
Bill
Just read the article and it was very mindful of the birds physical and mental health I’m on the do not clip boat hope others come aboard. I do have a harness and am still trying to fit her in it. She is very tiny and I don’t want to hurt her

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I do have a harness and am still trying to fit her in it. She is very tiny and I don’t want to hurt her
It can take some time, but hopefully you will get there eventually :)
In the meantime you can use a small travel cage if you wish to take her out with you.
Maybe this will help:

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for all the feedback I was wondering if I should and probably won’t. Doubt she’ll fly away seeing how bonded she is to me. Thanks again I am new to this
You should secure your house and make it impossible for her to fly away, bonded or not. An accident is happening far too often. Even if she didn't mean to fly away, she might just be curious, and once she is out and flying, she might just get lost. Clipping wings is not how you keep a bird safe, if she manages to leave the house she will just be a much easier prey for predators.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It can take some time, but hopefully you will get there eventually :)
In the meantime you can use a small travel cage if you wish to take her out with you.
Maybe this will help:
I find those videos helpful for the technique, but never found any with small bird like budgies or p'lets.. I would think it is because it is much harder to get them inside, and you'd have to handle them instead of having them putting their head inside the loop voluntarily.
I've been training Pichu for half a year now and although he would reluctantly put his head through to get the treat, he never accepts to have the thing touching him at all. Sometimes he even gives up getting the treat to avoid having that thing touching him too closely. I figure in the end I will have to hold him and thread the harness on his head, keeping it on until he calms down then remove it...

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think it will be safer to train your parrotlet to travel outdoors in a birdie backpack. Harness training can work for little birds, but I think it does carry some intense risk.

Parrotlets weigh around 30g. Most other wild birds that may swoop or strike, for noble reasons such as defending their home and nest, could kill your parrotlet. I allow them to fly around in the home unimpeded. I just ordered a Pak-O'-Birds for them for outdoor hikes. We need to remember that lots of birds live around us in the wild, and they can be very offended by a little S.American parrot suddenly walking by their nest.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Parrotlets weigh around 30g. Most other wild birds that may swoop or strike, for noble reasons such as defending their home and nest, could kill your parrotlet. I allow them to fly around in the home unimpeded. I just ordered a Pak-O'-Birds for them for outdoor hikes. We need to remember that lots of birds live around us in the wild, and they can be very offended by a little S.American parrot suddenly walking by their nest.
I know there are some members on AA who have had the horrificly traumatic experience of their birds being taken from their shoulder while in a harness (I won´t tag them).
And an AA member said they knew someone who had their Mac taken by rapaces. :(
Last time I took Sydney out in the harness was my birthday last year, so almost a year ago, and I wrote about the day and that a hawk was lingering around causing me to put him in the travel bag forthe rest of the day. We haven´t been out since. He has got a girlfriend now so I don´t feel too bad about it :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I know there are some members on AA who have had the horrificly traumatic experience of their birds being taken from their shoulder while in a harness (I won´t tag them).
And an AA member said they knew someone who had their Mac taken by rapaces. :(
Last time I took Sydney out in the harness was my birthday last year, so almost a year ago, and I wrote about the day and that a hawk was lingering around causing me to put him in the travel bag forthe rest of the day. We haven´t been out since. He has got a girlfriend now so I don´t feel too bad about it :)
Exactly! So easy for them to get harmed. There are hundreds of different overlapping territories in the skies and on the ground built by other birds that may have been living in the area for generations. Parrots aren't just an unexpected meal for predatory birds, they are also a confusing threat to native birds who are also just trying to make it to the next day. I think as humans we pass through other birds territories..pretty darn oblivious.. unless we know what to look for.. but when another birds goes through, they know more than we do. I don't hold it against the native wild birds of course! We just need to realise that it can have dangerous consequences to our little spoiled fids.