• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wing clipping article has vanished. Help!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I went to re-read my favorite article on wing clipping (comprehensive in considering all the pros and cons and exceedingly well-written) and it looks like the website expired or something. It's just... gone.

This was the URL: onafricanwings.com

Does anybody know the author's name, or whether this article has been reproduced elsewhere online? I very much want find a copy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

edit; just skim reading, there´s a few points about why to clip I personally don´t agree with. Like for training - bogus, usually once their wings regrow, the progress is lost. Same for safety - it´s easier to adapt the room to make it safer.
The only time I´m pro-clip is with a bird that is sick, or having other health problems where the bird is attempting to fly and worsening the situation.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! I'm gonna print this sucker out right now.

Edit to respond to edit: Keep reading. It but ultimately rejects those arguments point by point with clear, logical reasoning and citations for everything.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Edit to respond to edit: Keep reading. It but ultimately rejects those arguments point by point with clear, logical reasoning and citations for everything.
I will now go back and read the rest of the article since you have said it is not promoting clipping- the start certainly had me feeling they were, I will now brave through the parts that made me stop reading... I did not get too far in.

I am honestly disappointed and shocked that clipping is even still done so flippantly and is spoken about like it is just another human lifestyle choice- so many equivalent forms of physical alterations that were done to dogs are no longer allowed as they have been deemed as unnecessary and outdated, they are all practices that have the potential to cause more harm than good. If one can no longer choose how their dogs tail or ears look without a decent medical reason to alter them then I really need to question why disabling an other wise healthy bird is ok- this makes no sense to me.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am honestly disappointed and shocked that clipping is even still done so flippantly and is spoken about like it is just another human lifestyle choice- so many equivalent forms of physical alterations that were done to dogs are no longer allowed as they have been deemed as unnecessary and outdated, they are all practices that have the potential to cause more harm than good. If one can no longer choose how their dogs tail or ears look without a decent medical reason to alter them then I really need to question why disabling an other wise healthy bird is ok- this makes no sense to me.
Exactly.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

I read to the end, following your suggestion. You are correct that the article's intention is to encourage natural flight behaviours with companion birds. I do wish they were slightly more forthcoming with their main idea. It was a little awkward to read and left me wondering, especially at the beginning, if they are pro clip. I think it would read better if they rearranged the whole thing, move the end to the beginning.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I read to the end, following your suggestion. You are correct that the article's intention is to encourage natural flight behaviours with companion birds. I do wish they were slightly more forthcoming with their main idea. It was a little awkward to read and left me wondering, especially at the beginning, if they are pro clip. I think it would read better if they rearranged the whole thing, move the end to the beginning.
Yeah, it's certainly not perfect, but I like how they phrase the various arguments, the way everything is cited, and the way it addresses each point individually.

Also, pro-flight owners aren't the target audience. I've found it's most useful for people who previously clipped and are considering stopping, but are afraid it could be a mistake. It tells the reader, "I know your heart is in the right place and you love your birds and want what's best for them. But you have concerns, so let's discuss them." To me, the bit about how clipping is meant to stop flight, but not completely... so then what's the point again? That really punched me in the logic.

I dunno. There are a lot of other wonderful pro-flight articles out there that are objectively just as good or better... for some reason this one just always stuck in my mind.

Last edited:

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie