• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Window soundproofing that is safe for birds?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
The boys are having trouble getting enough sleep. The city noise keeps them awake until around 8-9pm, then the birds outside are waking them up at 5am and usually stick around until 8-9am. Then I have to wake them up around 11am at the latest.
I want to wake them up earlier, but they are so tired throughout the day if I wake them up before 11 and I think its because of the birds outside waking them up so early. They have music going, and an air purifier that provides a lot of white noise, but there are birds that like to sit *right* outside their window and start calling. It scares them when they do it midday, I bet it scares them even more early in the morning

Is there a way to soundproof the window that would be safe for them?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If I had my birds sleep till 11am they’d be up all night carrying in and playing.
I found my birds are honestly happiest when I let their day begin same as the wild birds.
I just put them to bed earlier than the wild birds go to sleep in summer.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If I had my birds sleep till 11am they’d be up all night carrying in and playing.
I found my birds are honestly happiest when I let their day begin same as the wild birds.
I just put them to bed earlier than the wild birds go to sleep in summer.
They quiet right down when I cover them at 8pm, and if I did try to let them wake up with the wild birds I would still have the problem of the city noise keeping them awake :banghead: lots of sirens, dogs out and about, people being people lol they get spooked throughout the day by the city noise too

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
there are birds that like to sit *right* outside their window and start calling
Can you do something outside that will deter them from sitting so close?

Is there a way to soundproof the window that would be safe for them?
Aside from sound-attenuating curtains, you'd be looking at internal or external shutters, window film, or doing something with the windows themselves (or combinations of those) to improve the OITC (Outdoor-Indoor Transmission Class). That said, depending on the nature of your exterior wall construction, your windows may not be the only issue.

If you know the wall construction (2x4 or 2x6 wood framing, masonry, etc) and the type of windows (casement, double hung, etc) and type of glass (single pane, dual, triple, laminated, etc) there will be charts that show the OITC for both. This rating specifies how effective they are at reducing how much outside sound will transfer to the inside. That's not necessary, but sharing in case you want to dig a little deeper into the topic -- look for OITC information.

You guys just moved, so your flock might get used to the ambient noises with time.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds get up at dawn and go to bed at dusk. You're fighting a losing battle.

If you can't beat them. Join them. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They quiet right down when I cover them at 8pm, and if I did try to let them wake up with the wild birds I would still have the problem of the city noise keeping them awake :banghead: lots of sirens, dogs out and about, people being people lol they get spooked throughout the day by the city noise too
I (probably all of us realistically) have these same types of noises to deal with at my house too but we are in the country so it is not a constant stream of varying outside background noise, it is more like mostly silence then something such a person screaming out or a car horn or alarm blaring to set off the wild birds, neighbourhood dogs (we are also lucky enough to have two different neighbours with dingos that actually cry very loud and rather different to most domestic dogs) etc- then there is the town siren which will go off regularly for any and all types of police, fire or other local emergency and it is much worse to listen to and louder than a normal emergency services vehicle siren.
I honestly think your birds will get used to the sounds and learn to hear them then ignore them and get back to sleep, especially if they are given a normal waking time routine. All birds (wild and captive) have sounds to deal with in the middle of the night and I really can't see that it would or should be necessary to actually soundproof your windows, I personally would work on teaching them the outside activity and noise is nothing to stress about by simply ignoring any sleep time disturbances that are not a serious night fright.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
When my bird moved from the rescue (that had downtown suburb noise) to my house (with city bus and people/dog/bird noise) it took him a few weeks to settle and sleep all night. He usually puts himself to bed around 7pm and I turn off the lights and close the blinds, and even though it's super bright out for another couple hours he's always sleeping when I check on him. I think it takes them a little bit to figure out what's a normal sound and what's something to fret about, just like it does for us when we're in a new place.

I agree that acting like the bigger noises are no big deal will help. I've made loud noises on accident at night a few times and always make sure I say quietly "that was just me, sorry about that, goodnight" and so far he just goes back to sleep.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
You guys were right, they just needed more time to adjust :) they are still extra skittish but other than that they seem pretty used to the place