• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Window Screen Upgrade Ideas?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I want to open the windows now that spring has finally arrived. My crew could chew thru the current screens in seconds! Does anyone have some suggestions for something like a grate or a safe chicken wire type thing I can install between the glass and mesh screening? I want to leave the current screens there to keep bugs out, but I need to add something to keep the crew from escaping. I slid a window open for barely 5 minutes and someone chewed a hole already! So no more fresh air until I figure out what to do.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm thinking rebuild your current screens with stainless steel rodent mesh. Would you be able to get something like that over your side of the pond?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Would rope nets work, maybe? So the fids can't get to the screen but the air can get through?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm thinking rebuild your current screens with stainless steel rodent mesh. Would you be able to get something like that over your side of the pond?
Does that also keep gnats and mosquitoes out?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Does that also keep gnats and mosquitoes out?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Can you post a pic. Most I want to know how they manage to get so close to the window.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
They like to sit on the window sill and look out. I even had a marble sill put in for them cuz they chewed up the wooden sill.
This is the back half of their room.
20190206_140401.jpg
This is their new window sill. The blinds are down in this pic but you can see part of it.
20190511_201356.jpg

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I really have to concentrate on members' locations when thinking things out. Over here we don't have mosquito or gnat problems so I assumed the screens were for your birds. Sorry :ashamed3:
No worries! I'm leaving the original screen in place, but want add something to the inside of it so the babies can't escape. So I'm considering everything aside from jail bars!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've been wanting to do the same thing so I'm watching this thread. I really wish I could let him have fresh air when I'm not around.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I've been wanting to do the same thing so I'm watching this thread. I really wish I could let him have fresh air when I'm not around.
Me too! Looks like 3/4 inch stainless steel hardware screen is the way to go. I'm going have it cut to size at Home Depot then wrap the edges with vet tape so there's nothing sharp. Then just attach it to the inside of the existing screen. I'm not into major construction but this I can handle. Probably won't be very noticeable from the outside either. I don't want it to look like I'm running some sort of prison!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Me too! Looks like 3/4 inch stainless steel hardware screen is the way to go. I'm going have it cut to size at Home Depot then wrap the edges with vet tape so there's nothing sharp. Then just attach it to the inside of the existing screen. I'm not into major construction but this I can handle. Probably won't be very noticeable from the outside either. I don't want it to look like I'm running some sort of prison!
Cool! I can't wait to see how it turn out!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Last edited: