• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Window Safety?

crowary

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ben
Hi!

My cockatiel Rosie has been crashing into the window much more frequently. For reference, her cage is in front of a bay window with a nice view to outside (and the neighbor's wall), and she likes to sit on top of her cage and look out. She's been getting more comfortable flying, but can only land on top of her cage. For the most part it's fine, but sometimes something out of the window startles her and she'll take off flying and misses her cage and crashes into the window. She's 9 years old, so not a baby, she's just not the brightest and isn't very willing to try anything new. She knows the window is there and I've taken her to tap on it many times, so I don't think that's the problem. Is there anything I can do to possibly cushion the window so she doesn't crash so hard? I would hate to only let her out when the blinds are closed so she won't hit the glass.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Curtains, will help that you can close. There are decals for glass for this.

Not a good thing to have happen, birds can break necks and suffer bad injuries this can and needs to be prevented now.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have theses sheer curtains that you can still see out of but definitely lets the bird know they're there! I think that would be a good choice if Rosie like looking out the window!
20220723_084320.jpg

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
Maybe change the place of Rosie’s cage and add perches around the window so she can hangout there whenever she wants

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally am not a fan of sheer/net curtains so I simply used some post it notes- really cheap, really easy to apply and even more simple to remove. Others have hung curling ribbons in front of windows to stop birds going near them, these work a treat.

crowary

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ben
I personally am not a fan of sheer/net curtains so I simply used some post it notes- really cheap, really easy to apply and even more simple to remove. Others have hung curling ribbons in front of windows to stop birds going near them, these work a treat.
She knows the window is there, but can't control her flying very well so she misses her cage and crashes occasionally, but I'll put some up just in case!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Post it notes is a great shout

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Post it notes is a great shout
Easy to apply, cheap and easy to remove with no need for cleanup of sticky residue. You can even make your own favourite patterns lol

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Easy to apply, cheap and easy to remove with no need for cleanup of sticky residue. You can even make your own favourite patterns lol
Gonna give it a go in the conservatory Mojo loved it in there but hasnt been in there out of her cage since we got KeeK's whos only been in there whilst in her cage.
KiKi is flying much more confidently now and in a few weeks all the family away camping im giving it a miss bad back so might give it a go.