• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Winded Flight in Green Cheek Conure

Nataloi

Checking out the neighborhood
My 18 year old Conure is experiencing distress after flight, I have read a few things on CAG - can someone define that acronym? This is definitely a new problem for him - observed during the past couple of days. He doesn't fly much but definitely seems out of breath after short flights, he used to be able to fly around the room multiple times with no issues...but now has issues every time he flies.

Thank You,
Natalie

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's possible that he may have some heart disease going on thus making it harder to breathe after being very active. I'd recommend taking him to your avian vet as soon as possible to get him a thorough check up with possible xrays if deemed necessary.
@Hankmacaw

Nataloi

Checking out the neighborhood
are heart issues common with older conures? we have not had any issues with him in 18 years! Also what if it is cardio, are there medications?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Heart issues can happen at even young ages parrots in captivity are prone to atherosclerosis since they are far more sedentary than their wild cousins. There are heart medications that they can go on that can help improve heart function especially if caught early.
I unfortunately lost my beloved Green Cheek Nala my first parrot and best friend to this awful disease at only 12 years old. She had had xrays less than a year before due to her known fatty liver disease that we were treating and nothing abnormal showed on her rads. I lost her unexpectedly one Sunday morning she had been fine all morning and showing no signs of issues when she collapsed after taking a bath I rushed her into my vet she rallied on the way there and in the exam room she was climbing around her cage and begging for food. She was being examined and got away and flew back to me I snuggled her and gave her a kiss and handed her back to the vet and 5 seconds later she stopped breathing they rushed her into oxygen,gave her cpr and epinephrine into her heart but she was gone in less than a minute with no previous signs of issues or problems hence why it's called the silent killer.
I don't tell you this to scare you but just to tell my first hand experience of this horrible and heart breaking disease.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, heart and cardiovascular (circulation problems ) are common in all older birds. There are numerous medications for both conditions.
Take your bird to the vet and let your vet know that you are concerned about heart issues or atherosclerosis.

You should cut down on his flying until you get him evaluated.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you all for your responses, I will get the bird evaluated ASAP.
I truly hope that he will be ok and if it does turn out to be heart disease that it was caught early and he gets on the meds he needs to continue to live a long and happy life. Please update us if you don't mind after the visit best of luck!