• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will this be alright for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judgement

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Becca
Hello everyone!

It's been sometime since I last posted, due to a lot happening in my life. And because of this I've come, one again, to ask for your advice.

After years of waiting and talking to doctors of varying sort I was recently diagnosed with Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. In short, my body is perpetually 4 or so hours behind whatever the actual time is. If it's noon my body thinks it's 8 am. I was advised by my doctor that I could not keep to a conventional sleep schedule, as it was severely impairing my health. He recommended I use my body's natural cycle, which is bed at 2 am - 3 am ish, awake around 1 - 3 pm.

I'm worried as to what this means for my sun conure, Faust. If my partner uncovers him for anything more than changing food/water he gets very excited and his screams wake me up. The only solution we've found is to change his food/water in the morning, before he wakes up and then officially begin his day with mine, around 1 - 3 pm. I'm concerned for his health, as this would mean he's essentially covered from 10 pm or 11 pm until then. He generally wakes up at about 9 or 10 am, so he'd be on his own for 4 or five hours.

Would this be alright for him if he has fresh food/water? I don't want to hurt him or risk his health.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I'm glad that the doctors have been able to diagnose your condition :) Unfortunately... in the morning when a bird wakes up but is not yet uncovered in his cage is a prime time for birds to start plucking :( I do not think this would be a healthy situation for Faust, unfortunately.

Judgement

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Becca
Hi Lotus:

Thanks for replying! I'm sure there is some solution to this. What part of remaining covered would you expect would trigger the plucking? The extra darkness, the actual being on his ownness, etc?

Do you think it would be healthy instead if I have my partner uncover him, check his food and water, and then let him on his own until I can wake up?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Hmm... I'm not sure what exactly triggers it, but I'd guess it's a combination of the darkness plus the simple boredom of being alone in such a tiny contained space, without even the ability to watch the world outside go by?

I think it would be fine if he were uncovered in the morning, given food+water, and left alone but uncovered until you wake up-- it's pretty much the same as if you did it yourself and went to work no? Which is, how I'd guess, most people's schedules with their parrots work.

Status
Not open for further replies.