• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Will these feathers ever grow in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
20190423_102041.jpg

I don't know how many feathers are missing but since I've had him there has been no feather growth on that wing. Now when he attempts to fly he falls like a rock and I believe that is largely due to that wing. Is there anything I can do to promote feather growth, and will he ever be able to fly?

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
If he has had a moult, and there was no feather growth, I doubt there ever will be. If he hasn't moulted while he has been with you they might grow. Just my opinion, still, I'm as unsure as you are.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he has had a moult, and there was no feather growth, I doubt there ever will be. If he hasn't moulted while he has been with you they might grow. Just my opinion, still, I'm as unsure as you are.
He's molted twice already since he's been with me. I've had him for a little over a year.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If there was significant trauma to those follicles, he may never grow them back. That wing 100% would be the reason he drops like a rock; there is not enough surface area there to keep him in the air.

Just a good diet is all you can really do!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If there was significant trauma to those follicles, he may never grow them back. That wing 100% would be the reason he drops like a rock; there is not enough surface area there to keep him in the air.

During the raccoon attack, I think the wing was damaged because that single feather at the end always grows in white and doesn't form completely. Dr. Dixon looked at it during his last visit and said that feather was definitely damaged, but he didn't comment on the missing feathers aside from telling me he has a feather cyst on that wing that will have to be surgically removed at some point.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

There has been a handful of occasions where he spooked and was able to gain altitude, but he was already pretty high up in the air before he spooked.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When he attempts to fly, he usually always hurts himself. Yesterday he spooked and knocked his beak against my metal shelf, now there's a tiny wishbone-shaped mark on his beak. He spooked again today and scuffed up his skin between his nares and eyes. He really crashes hard when he hits something and i'm worried he'll really hurt himself. When I first got him, he spooked and flew into the wall, chipping the tip of his beak which bled.
Clipping him isn't an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.