• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will she ever talk.

Papillon66

Moving in
Real Name
Rose Sciberras
Hi there - I'm new to the board and would like to pick more experienced brains than mine. (Sorry if this is going to be a little long). We got our IRN on Christmas Day as a present from our grandson, complete with nice big cage. :) We know absolutely nothing about ourJoojah. My grandson got her from a petshop and the only info they had was that she was left with them by someone who had to leave the country quickly. I say she because I don't think she is a baby bird, not very old but most likely around 3 or 4, possibly more. I'm assuming she is a she because she has no neck rings. I had the vet see her on Sunday and he was of the opinion that she is not very old, not only because her beak is not large and her feet still smooth but also because if she were old she would be saying a word or two by now - but what if she does not intend to ever talk. I suspect her previous owner communicated with her through whistling. She does give off a very clear wolf whistle when she needs attention, and also what sounds like a hello whistle. I talk to her very often throughout the day and make her listen to other ringnecks on YouTube, which she loves. Also she is not very tame. She will step up if I wear a cotton glove but she will totally grab and bite a bare finger. I'd love to give her cuddles and tickles but she is too afraid and I can only tickle her if I hold her in a towel. She loves the tickling and purrs when I do it (only a couple of times in the 4 weeks we've had her) but the towel business seems to be traumatic in itself for her so I try not to do it at all. But there's not way you can touch her at all unless she is restrained in some way. So I just let her be. Unless she is out on the balcony, I leave her cage door open and she comes out and in again at her pleasure I wonder if there is anyone who can tell her age and advise as to what I should expect in terms of development, tameness and possible talk over time. I'm attaching some pics of her for guidance. Thank you all in advance for any guidance.

Attachments

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Hi and welcome! Your little one is a cutie :)

I think you are moving too fast. You’ve had her less than a month, which isn’t long at all. I would give her more time to settle in before expecting cuddles and for her to be completely hand tame. She needs to get used to her surroundings and to you, and she needs to learn this is her new permanent home before she knows she can trust you. Even with brand new (freshly weaned) baby birds, I let mine settle in for a full week or so before even trying to handle them.

Leaving her cage door open is good, but let her come out when she feels secure enough to, and be sure she knows how to step up so you can safely and easily get her back in her cage when you need to. I would definitely not towel her to cuddle her, and I wouldn’t use a glove. Let her learn to trust you.

As for talking, some birds do and some birds don’t. One of my Senegals (not known for talking) talks constantly, and my friend’s CAG doesn’t say a word. It depends on the individual bird. :)

Papillon66

Moving in
Real Name
Rose Sciberras
Thank you juliashmulia. Yes, I know it will take time for her to get used to her new surroundings. In my opinion she is already doing pretty well. She doesn't need to be taken in to her cage - it's where she goes when she's hungry or wants a nap. Already she knows that is her safe space. So I suppose there's no way of telling her age eh. Well, I love her anyway, no matter what. Thanks again for your input.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have an IRN myself, but many people who do say that they're relatively hands-off. Cuddles and tickles are not something that most adult birds enjoy from someone who isn't their mate. My pionus would be HORRIFIED if I had the audacity to wrap her in a towel and tickle her!

Adult, sexually mature birds only "cuddle" their mate. If you stroke an adult bird's back, wings, under their wings, belly etc, you're basically telling them that they're your extremely close, monogamous mate. You're promising something that you cannot deliver. An adult bird who thinks that you're a couple will get upset when you can't spend hours and hours with them, that you are close to others (both human and non-human) and may even attack those they percieve as rivals for your affections. It's setting up a very, very unhealthy dynamic.

Instead, be your bird's friend. This means respecting your bird's autonomy. If your bird doesn't want to step up or be touched, you have to respect that. Letting her go in and out of the cage as she wants is a good step. Offer her treats - fresh fruit, slivers of tree nuts. Don't try to push anything. She's still very new and is probably unsettled by having at least one owner then spending time in a pet shop. She doesn't know who you are or whether she can trust you.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Some birds talk, some not at all and some only a few words. My Cockatoo is the only one who just started to say hello. She's going to be 22 in May.

My hubs comes home from work, and the first thing he says to her is hello. Well she's been here a year and a half. One word in that time.

I have Amazons, both talk, one more then the other. One can say a few words being Kazoo.

Who are you? Hoosier, come on Hoosier. He says his name, Kazoo, Kazooey, he says my name. He calls for me and knows who I am. He calls his buddy Hoosier by name. They both say Hey baby.

One mimics sound the best. That's the little one. Doors that creek, to coffee or running water he even barks like the dogs and laughs when we do.

Each bird is an individual. They are amazing on their personality and total differences!

Welcome to the Avenue!

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I wish you best of luck with your IRN!

Everything everyone has said about them here is true for them. I would not recommend the toweling, either. Let her get to know you from a distance. If you need guidance on taming, we have plenty of resources on this forum (or articles and information outside the forum, too) that I or anyone else would be pleased to point you in the direction of. I've met a lot of IRN's and their parents always say they LOVE to make all sorts of fun noises but they don't all talk and they rarely cuddle or like to be handled more than perching on your hand/shoulder/arm.

What a sweet looking face that baby has.

Papillon66

Moving in
Real Name
Rose Sciberras
Thank you all. I went a step further today and got Joojah a male companion with DNA certificate who was born in 2019 so I'm assuming he is around 10 to 11 months old. I'm hoping they will learn to get along and keep each other company. I'm wondering if I should even try to tame Bluey, the new bird. I was told if they are too tame they would not mate. I'm not really all that interested in breeding but I do wish them to get attached to each other to keep each other company. Thanks all for your input.

Edited to add they are in seperate cages for the moment.

Last edited:

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Thank you all. I went a step further today and got Joojah a male companion with DNA certificate who was born in 2019 so I'm assuming he is around 10 to 11 months old. I'm hoping they will learn to get along and keep each other company. I'm wondering if I should even try to tame Bluey, the new bird. I was told if they are too tame they would not mate. I'm not really all that interested in breeding but I do wish them to get attached to each other to keep each other company. Thanks all for your input.

Edited to add they are in seperate cages for the moment.
If they are compatible, they will learn to enjoy each others company with time. Got to make them both a part of the flock; eat together in same room, spend time with you watching TV, etc. And tame birds can breed, most certainly.
Don't force anything; they are individuals with their own feelings and personalities. If they are not compatible they just aren't. Then you've gotta be there for both birds.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
They can enjoy each other's company as well as your own if you are willing to put in the time (not much required!), effort (again, not much required!) and patience! (a lot of that required!)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on your new addition. :)

IRNs tend to be intelligent...and independent! Toweling is a most restraining situation...and you'd want to use that method in emergencies only. And then there's that "hands" thing...IRNs definitely have an aversion for human's hands...most don't like a lot of touching either.

Our Titan had all those traits...and only learned a few words in 26 years...but he was an excellent companion. He was our very first "birdie ambassador"...he made countless visits to schools, nursing homes, etc. He was a perfect gentleman...never bit, or fussed...he'd sit on people's shoulders and visit...then move on to the next person. He brought joy...and helped us educate people to avians of all species.

I was told if they are too tame they would not mate. I'm not really all that interested in breeding but I do wish them to get attached to each other to keep each other company.
...I wouldn't count on that. ;) Mother Nature is what she is.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hi there - I'm new to the board and would like to pick more experienced brains than mine. (Sorry if this is going to be a little long). We got our IRN on Christmas Day as a present from our grandson, complete with nice big cage. :) We know absolutely nothing about ourJoojah. My grandson got her from a petshop and the only info they had was that she was left with them by someone who had to leave the country quickly. I say she because I don't think she is a baby bird, not very old but most likely around 3 or 4, possibly more. I'm assuming she is a she because she has no neck rings. I had the vet see her on Sunday and he was of the opinion that she is not very old, not only because her beak is not large and her feet still smooth but also because if she were old she would be saying a word or two by now - but what if she does not intend to ever talk. I suspect her previous owner communicated with her through whistling. She does give off a very clear wolf whistle when she needs attention, and also what sounds like a hello whistle. I talk to her very often throughout the day and make her listen to other ringnecks on YouTube, which she loves. Also she is not very tame. She will step up if I wear a cotton glove but she will totally grab and bite a bare finger. I'd love to give her cuddles and tickles but she is too afraid and I can only tickle her if I hold her in a towel. She loves the tickling and purrs when I do it (only a couple of times in the 4 weeks we've had her) but the towel business seems to be traumatic in itself for her so I try not to do it at all. But there's not way you can touch her at all unless she is restrained in some way. So I just let her be. Unless she is out on the balcony, I leave her cage door open and she comes out and in again at her pleasure I wonder if there is anyone who can tell her age and advise as to what I should expect in terms of development, tameness and possible talk over time. I'm attaching some pics of her for guidance. Thank you all in advance for any guidance.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
May I suggest a good way to get started on talking.
Phonics for birds.....it's a CD that plays clips of rhymes and songs... It is very effective. My Zon poppers (passed a couple months back) and my grey both picked up many parts of the CD rhymes.
The key is repetition....birds like us , can forget how to say a word... This The phrase, use it or lose it....
I play the CD daily, at least once a day...I also put it in their bird room radio to listen to while I step out of house, and have to cage them while out. Trust me it's very effective.
IMG_20200129_102722.jpg IMG_20200129_102752.jpg

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best of luck with your beautiful girl!

To follow up on @Hawk12237 's post about teaching to talk, I used a little mimic machine to teach my Linnie, Gigi, 3 whistles (wolf, come here dog and the 5 syllable eerie beginning of the movie A Fist Full of Dollars) as well as 2 kisses. She sounds exactly like me and does them all daily. Many chimed in to say that they think you should just talk to your bird and they will mimic in time, use those words and sounds in context, etc. and to not use an artificial means. But I think the mimic machine supported me talking to her. I used it for a few minutes, several times a day. Interestingly, she learned these sounds by 3-4 months (she just turned 2) and never added any more human taught after that. I tried many words and phrases, but then stopped using the machine after a few months. Although I continue to say many things to her as we go about our day, in context, that she has never repeated. She does have a wide variety of her own vocalizations which are super cute and she practices them often.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Best of luck with your beautiful girl!

To follow up on @Hawk12237 's post about teaching to talk, I used a little mimic machine to teach my Linnie, Gigi, 3 whistles (wolf, come here dog and the 5 syllable eerie beginning of the movie A Fist Full of Dollars) as well as 2 kisses. She sounds exactly like me and does them all daily. Many chimed in to say that they think you should just talk to your bird and they will mimic in time, use those words and sounds in context, etc. and to not use an artificial means. But I think the mimic machine supported me talking to her. I used it for a few minutes, several times a day. Interestingly, she learned these sounds by 3-4 months (she just turned 2) and never added any more human taught after that. I tried many words and phrases, but then stopped using the machine after a few months. Although I continue to say many things to her as we go about our day, in context, that she has never repeated. She does have a wide variety of her own vocalizations which are super cute and she practices them often.

I once read in a great article on bird talk magazine several years back that birds can not always pronounce certain letters or syllable. They try the closest sound they can that might sound like it. To us it may sound gibberish sometimes, but if you really listen, you come to know what it is they are saying. :yes3::yes4:

JaeBae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jaehee
Good luck with your new addition OP! My IRN is a year old and he knows some words but that's nothing compared to my mother's IRN. Her's is around 7 months old and he's such a chatterbox! It depends on the bird and how much time you put into training them. My IRN knows my native language of Korean but it took a long time for him to even learn "hello!" and "Yes/no"