• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will she ever stop attacking and biting my husband?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a surgically sexed female sulfur crest with dark eyes. Although, I've seen some female umbrellas with eyes almost as ruby red as a lutino cockatiel. And some other species with almost a grayish washed-out color. It just seems like male umbrellas, in particular, have a more bulky upper mandible compared to their female counterparts. Sometimes its a judgement call though and nothing is better than a DNA or surgical sexing by a competent vet.

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
I have a surgically sexed female sulfur crest with dark eyes. Although, I've seen some female umbrellas with eyes almost as ruby red as a lutino cockatiel. And some other species with almost a grayish washed-out color. It just seems like male umbrellas, in particular, have a more bulky upper mandible compared to their female counterparts. Sometimes its a judgement call though and nothing is better than a DNA or surgical sexing by a competent vet.
We have been at the vet since 11 this morning because of her fall. We decided to do a complete work up and DNA sexing s being done.

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
So...$869.00 later, Charlotte’s leg is fine, but she ruptured an air sac. The vet said that her breathing is fine and there are a bunch of small pockets of air instead of one large one (I’m sure I’m not explaining it properly but it made sense when the vet told me). The vet prescribed an anti inflammatory and antiobiotics. We decided to do a battery of tests to see whether there was anything else going on as well as xrays on her leg and body (as I was worried about her being egg bound (and a red bulb was showing through her vent last week). So, xrays confirmed that leg is fine and that air sac rupture is as expected. Also showed that there may be something going on in her digestive tract but doctor needed more time to examine the xrays. We did blood work too and will get results back from that later. All in all a rough day for Charlotte and me.

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
So...$869.00 later, Charlotte’s leg is fine, but she ruptured an air sac. The vet said that her breathing is fine and there are a bunch of small pockets of air instead of one large one (I’m sure I’m not explaining it properly but it made sense when the vet told me). The vet prescribed an anti inflammatory and antiobiotics. We decided to do a battery of tests to see whether there was anything else going on as well as xrays on her leg and body (as I was worried about her being egg bound (and a red bulb was showing through her vent last week). So, xrays confirmed that leg is fine and that air sac rupture is as expected. Also showed that there may be something going on in her digestive tract but doctor needed more time to examine the xrays. We did blood work too and will get results back from that later. All in all a rough day for Charlotte and me.
Oh...and no egg in there.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
One of those necessary evils. You now have an accurate baseline of your birds health. Onward and upward. :hug8:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my gosh, I didn't realize she had fallen, poor baby. Glad you got her to the vet, and hoping for speedy recovery of the air sac. When will you get the results of the blood work? Will that be the same time you get the DNA results for 'her' sex in?

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
Oh my gosh, I didn't realize she had fallen, poor baby. Glad you got her to the vet, and hoping for speedy recovery of the air sac. When will you get the results of the blood work? Will that be the same time you get the DNA results for 'her' sex in?
Yes, I think so. We could have waited but I had already been there for four hours. Vet needs to touch base about the digestive potential issue too. Hope this week.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's better soon.

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
Charlotte’s bouncing back...not as vocal as normal, but better. She loves the block from this toy, but the toy seems to scare her (the original toy is three times the size of the piece you see in the photo). She hates her meds and while I reviewed some video about getting her to get used to the syringe by seeing me using it and putting juice in it, she was having none of that. I just hope some of the med is actually getting in her and not just on the outside of her beak!

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Humm...I wonder how toasted wood chips taste? :laugh: