• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will parents overfeed babies?

Cockatiel4

Moving in
I have a pair that had three chicks. They all seemed to have been doing great. I checked on them today and one of the babies had died. I don't know for sure why it died but I think maybe the parents over fed it. The crop was over full and the food was up into its throat and mouth. I separated the parents just in case. I don't know if I should let the parents do supervised feedings or if I should just hand feed. I'm still not even 100% sure why the baby died. They were all doing so well. I don't know what other reason there could be. If anyone has any opinions or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a pair
Are these cockatiels?

I don't know for sure why it died but I think maybe the parents over fed it. The crop was over full and the food was up into its throat and mouth.
If they fed too much food, the chicks could have aspirated.

How old are the chicks?

I should let the parents do supervised feedings or if I should just hand feed
Most would take the chicks from the nest and house in a brooder (you could allow the parents to go to the chicks to feed them under supervision), though some would leave them but monitor extremely close.

I´m sorry you lost the little one.

Cockatiel4

Moving in
Yes, sorry, they are cockatiels. The chicks are a week old. I was so upset when I found the one had died. I didn't even notice it had food in its mouth at first. I decided to look it over again to see if there were any signs of anything that might have happened and noticed its mouth was open with seeds in there and they were all up its throat too. And then I noticed its crop looked over full. So that's the only thing I could think of was that maybe the parents overfed it. I checked the other two and their crops looked like maybe they had a little too much but no where near as bad as the one that died. I think I'll try supervised feedings and if that doesn't work I'll hand feed them.