• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will my parrot damage the ceiling?

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I'm planning to hang net on the ceiling, birdtricks website says to hang it low enough that your bird cant reach the ceiling. I have got an African Grey, will it damage the ceiling somehow? It is just a flat area where I'm planning to hang the net.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Every bird I've ever lived with has damaged the walls and ceilings they could reach. I would hang the net with some kind of spacer between it and the ceiling.

Like this, on all four corners?

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Is there another more natural looking option to achieve this?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your AG could just climb up a chain, rope or wood perch I suppose. Just not sure but I bet some others have some ideas. Good luck!
I've been trying to talk my husband into hanging things from the ceiling, but he is resisting. :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I haven't had any damage to my ceilings where I've hung stuff for them to play on. I do however have multi colored stains on the ceiling from them tossing berries when they're done eating it while sitting on the toys hung from the ceiling!!!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I have these:

They were from Mother Pluckin' Bird Toys which sadly doesn't exist any longer. But you could make something similar out of thick perspex. Perspex is easy to cut with a sharp Stanley knife (run it lightly over the same spot until it comes apart) against a metal ruler on a cutting mat. I've cut some for the top of the fridge to stop Kobe eating the fridge seal.

You may not need them - not all birds chew the ceiling. Mine don't - it was just a precaution.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise has not damaged walls or ceilings. Mostly because she is strategically placed to not reach them--and my house only has 1 curtain rod that is too low for her to reach the ceiling from, nothing to perch on... but she will shred what ever she can reach, moldings, sliding glass door handles/seals... shoes on the floor... She has lots of toys, a climbing tree. I try to supervise, remove, distract- but some things are the cost of ownership (I have given up on the sliding glass door and the molding on it). She had great fun swinging a pendant light fixture, now it is re-hung so she cannot reach it.
For your bird to get to the ceiling, he/she will need a method to get to it-and a net could provide that method.
-this is similar to her tree. It is placed on a table that she cannot scale down, not close to the wall, and is not so high that she can reach the ceiling.
Again, Louise is a mellow bird. She is fully flighted but only flies to shoulders, the couch, the sink, or her play stand in the other room. I try to keep those areas bird-proofed...
For comparison, her brother that my friend has does not go after ceilings, walls, molding....he does little to no damage anywhere. The macaw they had was a chainsaw and there wasn't anything that wasn't a fun shred toy. Depends on the bird. Since yours is so young, you might be able to train him/her to stay away from areas through reinforcement, distraction. Some folks have had great results with clicker training.
1578205820983.png

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
When it comes to parrots, function far outweighs style.
That was a good one. I have already commited to the holes in the livingroom so I'll do what I have to do. I saw stainless steel thread in some of your works, do you think that would be a good option to use in order to lower the net?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Every bird I've ever lived with has damaged the walls and ceilings they could reach. I would hang the net with some kind of spacer between it and the ceiling.

Like this, on all four corners?

This ceiling guard that Dona posted looks like pvc. You could paint the PVC to look like natural branches! Brown, black, and beige paint, and voila! Non toxic, of course.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That was a good one. I have already commited to the holes in the livingroom so I'll do what I have to do. I saw stainless steel thread in some of your works, do you think that would be a good option to use in order to lower the net?
That is an option. Anything they can’t get a hold of and climb will work.

It’s pretty hard to damage a smooth surface. All it takes is a blemish in the surface or an edge and the beak will find it. Some birds will chew like that. Others never chew like that.