• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will my girl ever be able to fly?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It looks like all the feathers are there, although I see at least one growing in. Maybe as previously suggested, she just needs to build up her muscles a bit more to fly better.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yeah, all feathers accounted for. I’m sure with some practice and any improvements you’ve made in her diet, her muscles and feathers will become stronger.

Avio77

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Minh Tran
I usually take my bird outside of the cage and let her fly around. She flies pretty well and sometimes she flies short . And if you don't let her fly around the house her wing muscles get weak.

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
I usually take my bird outside of the cage and let her fly around. She flies pretty well and sometimes she flies short . And if you don't let her fly around the house her wing muscles get weak.
My birds are out of the cage whenever i’m home :D she just doesn’t fly, prefers to sit back. Flies for a short distance only when there’s no other choice, and that’s very rare

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
My mom has a lutino tiel, but damn yours is yellow! Its gold :)

as @tka said, keep practicing, build up the muscles, and some day she will fly!

Also, i do not believe a bird NEEDS to fly to be happy. Obviously its healthy, they are made for it. But i think they are flexible enough to adapt to a life without flying, provided ofcourse they have plenty of toy and enrichment otherwise :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Wow now that's a Fallow Cockatiel. All yellow is rare. So lucky lol
I don't think it is a fallow cockatiel. I think the mutation is Lutino Pastel - Face (Cheek is faded).

The fallow cockatiel is also known as the red-eyed silver cockatiel. When a Fallow is crossed with a Cinnamon, the Cinnamon will mask the Fallow color of the offspring. This results in a bird that looks like a Lutino. However, they generally look lighter in color, and not bright yellow. That is why I believe this tiel is a lutino. Do realize Lutino cockatiels generally have dark red eyes as well :)

Although bright yellow cockatiels do exist, they do seem to be more rare then the faded yellow ones.

@Gokha , Your tiel may never fly perfectly, but you can always encourage it to fly more often with clicker training, or just offering treats to get him or her to fly. Like others said, slowly increase the distance during training (Maybe every 3-5 days , increase the distance half an inch - 1 inch. When the bird flies confidently and with precision, then you can increase the distance. Your birb is so beautiful.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I take back the pastel face - one photo the cheek looked faded but two photos it does not. Looks like Lutino only :D

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
So major update!!!
Walad can now fly :heart:
She’s not as professional as Zazu and clumsier than Momo, but sometimes she makes 2-3 rounds around the room :D
And all thanks to Zazu and Momo consistently running after Walad (not all the time, just when she gets on their way), so she has no choice but to fly away somewhere. I think it also has to do with her breaking some of the flight feathers during night fright + she lost some during her major molt, so new “stronger” flight feathers grew (if you go back to the previously attached picture you’ll know what i mean).
she doesn’t fly on recall like Zazu or Momo, but she flies whenever she really wants to come to me or when those two are annoying her or when she sees food on the table :D
Here’s a recent picture of her. And yes, those are seeds inside her bowl...she’s been rejecting pellets all of a sudden. Mostly eats bird bread from Harrison’s, seeds and a tiny bit of veggies. I hope this will end eventually 3E8D0027-B834-4C6D-BDB4-1C3C865523EB.jpeg

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
I agree with what a lot of people have already said about having her practice. I've had a Tiel that had his wing's clipped at a young age. Although he was no Maverick from Top Gun, he did learn the basics and has gotten better over time.

So just give it time and patience.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
So happy to hear about Walad's progress! She has come such a long way. Amazing job, both of you.

I am so happy for her. :D

Corriew

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Corrie
Been reading and this is so exciting, one of the reasons we haven’t clipped ours is because we feel they should fly naturally and I have heard bad things about falls plus Eddie is a bit clumsy already and is a poor flyer.