• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will my cockatiel be ok?

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
My husband and I are leaving the country for good next month. I got my cockatiel 3 years ago, her name is Karly and she’s alittle over 3 years old. She used to be my best friend and I love her to death. When I realized we might be moving I got her a male buddy. After a month they became “lovers” and even had two babies together. We were able to find loving homes for the babies who are now almost a year old. We got the male cockatiel because she was overly attached to my husband and I and I didn’t want her to have trouble knowing we won’t be with her forever. Lately I noticed she would rather hang out with her husband than with me which is great. They preen each other and sleep together and call each other when in different rooms. When we leave my baby will go to mother in law. Karly also likes my mother in-law sometimes she gives her treats and Karly flies to her for the treats and she lets her scratch her little head.
I think I am having a much harder time with leaving her, I cry everytime I think about it or when I hold her and scratch her head. I want to try to make it as easy as I can for her. How can I do that. Any advice?? I will get to visit her Once in a while but I’m still depressed over this
Do you think she will be ok?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry you have to leave your sweet friend. Is the male going to your mother in law’s too? That would help your bird adjust, as would frequently visiting your mother in law’s beforehand. You could even have your bird stay the day or for a few nights. She should make the adjustment well, but I feel it might be harder for you unfortunately. Just make sure your MIL knows about taking care of her and about any household dangers.
:hug8:

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Aww, I'm so sorry. I feel terrible even if I just leave my bird for a few days! Are you certain that there's no way you could bring them? You might want to start having your MIL spend more time with them before you move to ease the transition. Also I would highly suggest that the male goes, too! Try not to be sad though - you will want to remember the last times with your birdies as happy ones, not sad ones! Also you will be able to visit them occasionally, right? I really hope that you can feel better!:sadhug:

Birdilove

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fatemeh
Oh yeah the male will be with her as well, and I know as long as they have each other they will be fine.
I tried so hard and did so much research about ways to take her with me but it’s very difficult and it would only cause the birds unnecessary stress.
Thank you guys for responding. She’s my best friend and even thinking about leaving her breaks my heart and I’m crying even thinking about it, but it helps knowing that she will be ok and that she doesn’t really care, and also that I’ll be able to see her at least once every year. ❤

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, I didn’t mean that she wouldn’t care, she will really miss you! It’s just that she will have her companion and she will be used to her new house and your MIL, so she should transition easily. I’m glad you can visit her, and she will be happy to see you!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Best of luck. :sadhug: