• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Will my birds be okay?!!!!!????!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
The dude at the petstore was an idiot and told me that reptisun 5.0 and avian sun were the same thing because he was an idiot so I had repti sun over my birds for a few hours a couple days ago and now two hours today. I just found out it was wrong today. I guess I don't know what I'm doing. Will my birds be okay???!!!!! I'm really worried.... Should I call my Avian vet?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
The deal with this type of lighting is the damage to the birds eyes...You might want to call your vet in the AM and ask him if the time you had it on and how close it was to your birds will have harmed them this soon...he might want to see them and check their eyes...
I would NOT use this lighting any more!!!!!:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Please let us know how the vet visit goes. :hug8:

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes please give us updates on what the vet says :) Giving you my best wishes!!!!!!!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
If Your birds were more then 18" away from the lights,they will probably be ok-but I would still call Your QAV.And Please let Us know:hug8:

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
They were pretty close to the light....Should I call the vet tonight or wait until morning...I mean is this an emergency or not? I'm worried....They seem fine and everything, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Ive never had birds before.

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
I would wait until morning. The most important thing was removing the light. The longer the exposure, the more likely the eye damage. Since you are not noticing any behavior that would indicate vision damage, your birds may be all right. Best wishes! :hug8:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hope your birds are okay.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Erin are they keeping their eyes open? If so they are probably OK. It is more if they are staring into the light but either way these "people" at Petsmart (and isnt that an Oxymoron for a name) should be told about this. I would go talk to the store manager and let them know how serious this could have been and that their employees shouldnt be recommending products when they know nothing about what they are talking about. :mad:

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
Yeah I definitely will....I'm pretty sure they're ok. They seem fine, but I'll call the vet in the morning. Sorry if I offended any petsmart people. It just ticked me off and I got super panicky because I don't know too much yet. Thanks Everyone!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Erin let us know what your vet says. I am sure there are a few Petsmart employees who are knowledgable but I cant attest to that personally. Every time I go into our local one I have to put duct tape on my mouth when I go by the birds..:( My latest visit in there was especially annoying.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
She said they're probably okay. The amount of time they were under the light probably wouldn't hurt them. She told me to take them in if they start squinting or acting strange though. She told me not to use the reptile light ever again.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I'm glad you had that checked out Erin. Did you notify Petsmart as well? :shake: :)

di_dee1

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Di
I am so glad they seem fine. I would be fronting them at petsmart about dangerous information given out by their employees and I would be asking them to foot the vet's bill, not to mention a refund on the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.