• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will I be able to regain trust from my Hahn's Macaw???

Lajarox

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I recently adopted a 2 year old rehomed Hahn's Macaw. From the first moment we saw each other, we were an instant match, he chose me. I will not be bringing him home for another 2 weeks, but I have been visiting him every 2 to 3 days so we can get to know each other. The first 2 visits were great, no biting. On the third visit, he gave me a good bite at the beginning of the visit, then settled in. I figured he was upset that I'd left him. On the fourth visit, the biting became more intense and he broke the skin. Someone in the store told me to try placing him on the ground when he bites, as parrots don't want to be on the ground because it makes them feel vulnerable...EXACTLY the reason why I believe he now acts like he hates me. The last visit he refused to come out of the cage for me so one of the employees got him for me and placed him on my hand. I came prepared with sunflower seeds and he accepted them from me without biting, but he definitely was not as comfortable with me as he once was I placed him on one of the trees and whenever I would get near him, he would walk away from me. I foolishly asked him to step up and he immediately bit. To add insult to injury, he seems to have bonded with the employee that has been helping me out, I was so hurt, I couldn't believe how that made me feel. Can I fix this relationship? Should I even go through with the adoption? I don't want to bring him somewhere he does not want to be, I want to make his life as good as possible. If that means he's better off without me, I would be disappointed, but so be it. If I bring him home I want it to be his forever home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I think it is always possible to regain trust from a bird, sometimes it just takes more time and consistancy. I've had to do some pretty terrifying thing to my budgies, like hold quierido when he got out, it took a while to regain his trust, but now he loves giving me the sweetest kisses

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t think you’ll really get a good feel or understanding of what this bird is really like and what it really wants from you till you actually bring it home.
If you have your heart set on this bird and can give it a great home then you’ll find a way to make it work.
An awful lot happens at pet stores, many people come and go- some good some not so good, some workers are there some days but not others- there’s no real consistency or dependable routine as far as people interactions go in that situation so I’m sure this bird has just learned to get the absolute most out of the moment and the people it sees there- you come and go and will be less dependable than the worker who is likely there much more often and for longer times than you are.
My bird absolutely loves a lady who visits our house from time to time but he’s hot and cold with her and I believe it’s because he knows she’s always here for an unknown period of time but I’m always here with him, all day every day, I bring food every day and interact with him everyday- he’s smart enough to know I’m a better option for a good friend, interactions or food source than she is- if she lived with us I have no doubt in my mind he would choose her over me, partly because I’m mum but also partly because there’s something about her he just absolutely loved from the second he saw her.
I don’t think you can judge what your relationship will be like from your interactions at the pet store. Also… if you need to get the bird off you again please don’t put it on the floor- choose a safe place at a height it will feel safe (cage top or perch) put it there without any drama.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Can I fix this relationship?
... I don't want to bring him somewhere he does not want to be.
After a few visits, you don't have a relationship with him (yet). That should actually be a relief -- you haven't lost anything because it was never yours to begin with.

Also, you will be taking him somewhere he doesn't want to be (at first). It will be new and different and scary and it's the same reality everyone here has dealt with when adopting a new animal companion.

Neither of those statements should put you off. They're just intended to offer a dose of reality.

Two of my guys were also re-homes, and neither was an instant connection. Both required me to consistently demonstrate trustworthiness over time, learn their body language and quirks, offer options, listen to the feedback they provide, respect their choices, and treat them with the dignity they deserve.

They've become amazing companions and it's very rewarding when we finally earn that connection.

Nothing you've described would indicate you can't earn the same connection with your new guy.

What's his name?

Lajarox

Meeting neighbors
After a few visits, you don't have a relationship with him (yet). That should actually be a relief -- you haven't lost anything because it was never yours to begin with.

Also, you will be taking him somewhere he doesn't want to be (at first). It will be new and different and scary and it's the same reality everyone here has dealt with when adopting a new animal companion.

Neither of those statements should put you off. They're just intended to offer a dose of reality.

Two of my guys were also re-homes, and neither was an instant connection. Both required me to consistently demonstrate trustworthiness over time, learn their body language and quirks, offer options, listen to the feedback they provide, respect their choices, and treat them with the dignity they deserve.

They've become amazing companions and it's very rewarding when we finally earn that connection.

Nothing you've described would indicate you can't earn the same connection with your new guy.

What's his name?
Thank you so much for responding, the dose of reality is appreciated and needed. His name is Sammy. I have been preparing to get a parrot for the past year and it is like everything I have learned escaped me once emotion creeped in...a recalibration is what I needed! Thank you!

Lajarox

Meeting neighbors
I think it is always possible to regain trust from a bird, sometimes it just takes more time and consistancy. I've had to do some pretty terrifying thing to my budgies, like hold quierido when he got out, it took a while to regain his trust, but now he loves giving me the sweetest kisses
Thank you!

Lajarox

Meeting neighbors
I don’t think you’ll really get a good feel or understanding of what this bird is really like and what it really wants from you till you actually bring it home.
If you have your heart set on this bird and can give it a great home then you’ll find a way to make it work.
An awful lot happens at pet stores, many people come and go- some good some not so good, some workers are there some days but not others- there’s no real consistency or dependable routine as far as people interactions go in that situation so I’m sure this bird has just learned to get the absolute most out of the moment and the people it sees there- you come and go and will be less dependable than the worker who is likely there much more often and for longer times than you are.
My bird absolutely loves a lady who visits our house from time to time but he’s hot and cold with her and I believe it’s because he knows she’s always here for an unknown period of time but I’m always here with him, all day every day, I bring food every day and interact with him everyday- he’s smart enough to know I’m a better option for a good friend, interactions or food source than she is- if she lived with us I have no doubt in my mind he would choose her over me, partly because I’m mum but also partly because there’s something about her he just absolutely loved from the second he saw her.
I don’t think you can judge what your relationship will be like from your interactions at the pet store. Also… if you need to get the bird off you again please don’t put it on the floor- choose a safe place at a height it will feel safe (cage top or perch) put it there without any drama.
Thanks for your response and perspective. The floor issue, I regretted it immediately after I did it...will never happen again...I knew better and should have done better! I've finished beating myself up about it now...looking forward...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can rebuild trust. As for him liking the employee- well, that's who he's around most often, for now. My birds will often greet new people but then want to come back to me fairly quickly because I am who they know.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I fell in love with my little Hahn’s, Jack, after visiting the bird store a couple of times. He did choose me but others held him and fed him before I brought him into our home. He was just adorable then and now 18 years later he is still a sweetheart. Our Jack now has Yellow Collar friend, Max, and they are best buddies. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your Sammy!