• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will his top color change?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Dartman or @tka may be able to answer your question. Both of these members are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I have never had a White cap Pionus but I do think their top color changes and fills in as they grow up from very young.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have any experience with WCP either. However, juvenile Pionus of other species do show different colours to adults. Young Blue-headed Pionus can have red feathers at the top of their head near their beak and the blue on their heads is often a more muted colour. Young Bronze-winged Pionus look a bit washed out and their brown wing feathers may be tipped with a paler, more golden brown. It can take a couple of moults for these colours to intensify into their adult plumage.

It would be cool to take regular photos of him under natural light and see how his colours change.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I only have white caps and yes the top should change to white though none of mine have a yellow color there. I wonder if it is staining from formula or bedding or something else. A baby wc pi is so drab compared to an adult. WC pi are my fave tho.