• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

will he hate me

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
Please if you won't listen to these amazing people about not breeding at least research for 6 months preferably a year about breeding cockatiels. This will also give you time to tame and bond with your new cockatiel before any babies come.

I know you said someone with experience will help you but it will also be good for you to have that knowledge as well.

I knew someone who jumped into breeding birds who didn't even know how to take care of the parents right. They're cage wasn't big enough, they had an all seed diet and many more bad things. Let's just say it didn't end well for the babies :(

So please please please do some research, not just a week of research but like I said at least six months to a year of it. I am new to this site but I'm sure there is a breeding section of this forum. Maybe ask people about their experiences, tips, and advice. People on this forum really care about birds I'm sure they will give you some good advice. Don't just narrow the research down to this forum though check other websites as well.

I hope all goes well for you and your birds

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
@alyssanor I do not want to be rude, but I want to share my experience with you. This is something I have never mentioned on AA before.

About four or so years ago I had four budgies, knowing nothing I know now I set them up in breeding cages. I was so excited when the first egg appeared and when the first baby hatched, only that first baby made it the fledging, then Blue passed away when he was only a few weeks old. Despite this I continued breeding, yes there was some healthy babies, Snowflake is one of them, but so many babies died because I wanted to breed when I didn't have the knowledge. When Sapphire died due to something breeding related I stopped, I am so upset that I was the one that killed her.
Are you sure you're willing to risk your birds' lives just because you want babies? Just look at my sig most of those birds died due to me breeding and they're only some of them.

As for taming them give them time to settle in, once they're comfortable go from there. While you wait for that read through Cockatiel corner and training court.
i am not givving them a breeding box , i am just saying if they mate they mate. i am not gonna encourage it , they are like my kids and i will not encourage my real kids when i am older to "have sex" if it happens it happens.

also is it rude to keep my cockatiels in the cage while my budgies are out because it is soooo hard to get the cockatiels away

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
if it happens it happens.
Then research thoroughly so that you are prepared for when it happens. I would buy the equipment now (brooder box, heater pads, thermometer, hygrometer, feeder spoon, bedding) but you can hold of until you see egg to buy the formula (or it may expire). Remember to get them to the vet too before breeding. And I see you said you already have a mentor. Spend some time with him/her and learn about raising baby birds, and how to use the feeder spoon etc.

also is it rude to keep my cockatiels in the cage while my budgies are out because it is soooo hard to get the cockatiels away
You can allow flight time for the budgies, then rotate and let the tiels out while the budgies are back in their cage. I do two flight groups in my home too for safety reasons.
Just be sure that while one group is out, they don´t land on the cages. You can cover them with a piece of cardboard on top, or clear perspex.

Loveofbird

Walking the driveway
i am not givving them a breeding box , i am just saying if they mate they mate. i am not gonna encourage it , they are like my kids and i will not encourage my real kids when i am older to "have sex" if it happens it happens.

Okay if they do breed and your hen lays eggs will you be planning on trying to hatch the eggs or will you end up boiling them? If you do want to hatch them then I would say do research on breeding just so you know what to do in case something bad comes up. Sometimes the hen will become egg bound which can be life threatening. So like I said do research so you can know the signs of an egg bound cockatiel and will be able to take it to the vet immediately if it does happen.

And to answer your question no I don't think it's rude as long as you spend an equal amount of time with your cockatiels. Now if you just spend time with your budgies and leave your cockatiels in the cage all day and not interact with them then I would have to say yes it is not only rude but sad as well.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Then research thoroughly so that you are prepared for when it happens. I would buy the equipment now (brooder box, heater pads, thermometer, hygrometer, feeder spoon, bedding) but you can hold of until you see egg to buy the formula (or it may expire). Remember to get them to the vet too before breeding. And I see you said you already have a mentor. Spend some time with him/her and learn about raising baby birds, and how to use the feeder spoon etc.

You can allow flight time for the budgies, then rotate and let the tiels out while the budgies are back in their cage. I do two flight groups in my home too for safety reasons.
Just be sure that while one group is out, they don´t land on the cages. You can cover them with a piece of cardboard on top, or clear perspex.
why cant they land on top

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Okay if they do breed and your hen lays eggs will you be planning on trying to hatch the eggs or will you end up boiling them? If you do want to hatch them then I would say do research on breeding just so you know what to do in case something bad comes up. Sometimes the hen will become egg bound which can be life threatening. So like I said do research so you can know the signs of an egg bound cockatiel and will be able to take it to the vet immediately if it does happen.

And to answer your question no I don't think it's rude as long as you spend an equal amount of time with your cockatiels. Now if you just spend time with your budgies and leave your cockatiels in the cage all day and not interact with them then I would have to say yes it is not only rude but sad as well.
no not all day just like 15 minutes

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Because they might bite each others toes. And considering you say you can´t go to the vet, you will want to avoid as many injuries as possible.

That is not a lot of time out of the cage.
im saying 15 of pure time with just the budgies then let them all out together

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
well maybe you are not in my shoes and i am using the birds as some sort of support because of family issues and i can not go to family , so i went to birds <3
No offence, but that is horrible. Your life is hard so you continue to buy other LIVING BEINGS that you can't even properly care for? Again, not trying to be mean, just brutally honest.

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
ohh no no no i would not be doing any of that , the previous owners and my dad are friends and they have 26+ years with birds and they would come and help ( they live up the street)
Your dad's friend would be willing to come to your house every 2 hours to feed the babies?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Budgie33, it sounds like alyssanor was going through a lot & this thread is very old. Hopefully they're doing better now. :)